On behalf of Luminis UK, Skills Matter is to host a series of OSGi-focused evening workshops/seminars in 2010. The first of these is a reprise of the workshop Luminis
co-presented at EclipseCon
Decided to base your architecture on OSGi? Or even better, you already have an OSGi-based system? Great! - but how do you cope with all of those bundles?
Better ramp up your management skills and become a
Certified Bundle Manager
OSGi is great at enabling you to build your systems out of sets of bundles. In a way, your bundles are your configuration. However, this also requires you to master the identification, assembly and provisioning of all of the components that make-up your system.
- How do you hot-deploy bundles for delivery?
- Is there a simple way of bootstrapping your system with specific configurations that are easy to assemble and kick-start?
- Once your system is "out there" how can you take things one-step further and manage the provisioning remotely?
- Is there an easy way to let the user discover and deploy what he wants, when he wants it?
- How can you do all of these things using existing technologies?
Well, you've come to the right place. In this workshop we will focus on ways to manage OSGi installations. Using a simple example application, we will show you how you can:
- use Fileinstall to hot-deploy bundles into your live application environment
- take advantage of Pax Runner to create and easily bootstrap configurations of bundles
- remotely manage, provision, and audit systems in the field with Apache Ace
- provide, discover, and deploy bundles using Apache Felix OBR
Attendees will take part in hands-on exercises which address all of these issues using existing technologies. By the end of the workshop, you will have created your own working tool-set for bundle management, from a simple hot-deploy right up to remote provisioning and discovery.
Requirements: Participants should bring a WiFi-enabled laptop with the Eclipse development environment pre-installed.
Beer and pizza will also be provided courtesy of Luminis!
With a basic understanding of the OSGi specifications and some hands-on experience working with bundles and services, there is nothing to stop you becoming a Certified Bundle Manager TODAY