Skills Matter have been proud supporters of the F# community from the moment we organised the first F# Tutorial in 2011. It is through this community - and it’s shared learning and experiences - that Phil & Tomas have developed one of the best F# courses available.
F# is increasingly used in domains such as finance, gaming, mobile & web development and testing - it makes it possible to solve complex problems with simple, maintainable and robust code.
This two-day course looks at a number of applications, exploring how F# simplifies domain modelling & testing, looking at it’s advanced, indispensable features for asynchronous and concurrent programming and data processing - making this an essential course for anyone looking to start using F# in practice who would like to begin making the most of functional and concurrent programming concepts.
Learn how to:
- Write effective and succinct solutions to complex problems in F#
- Model complex domains with functional types and domain specific languages (DSLs)
- Learn how to integrate F# in to your company workflow through prototyping, testing and scripting
- Use F# 3.0 type providers to gather and process data
- Use F# asynchronous workflows and agents to write scalable concurrent code
What the community says
"Really enjoyable and useful, good mix of lectures and hands-on learning. "Chris Cracknell on 5th Mar 2015
"It's been incredible to have these two prominent members of the F# community as amazing instructors. "Delegate on 15th May 2014
- How does F# fit with the rest of the world?
- Object-oriented F# from a C# perspective
- Working with F# types and functions
- How F# avoids NullReferenceExceptions
Domain modelling and DSLs
- Modelling problem domains with functional types (“Domain on a single page”)
- Implementing business logic in F#
Writing applications in F#
- Testing F# code and using F# as a testing tool
- Building a retail .NET application in F#
Data processing and F# 3.0 type providers
- Obtaining data with type providers
- Processing and visualizing data
- Numerical calculations and machine learning
- How do F# type providers work?
Asynchronous and concurrent programming
- How to write non-blocking computations
- Asynchronous workflows for server-side and client-side programming
- Introducing agent-based concurrency in F#
- Designing concurrent scalable data-processing systems in F#
- A software developer who wants to use F# in a real-world software system?
- A software architect and want to find out how to best leverage the power of F#?
- A developer who wants to broaden your skill set and get a better grasp on concurrency and functional ideas?
This course has been tailored for C# & C++ developers with at least 2-3 years of enterprise experience, who would like to start evaluating or using F# or gain a new perspective on software architecture and development.
Whilst this course does not require prior experience with F# or functional programming, we do recommend that you have working knowledge of some object-oriented language. Similarly, some knowledge of .NET would be useful, but not required.
Bring your own hardware
Delegates are requested to bring their own laptop for this course. If you are unable to bring a laptop for the course, please contact the community team on +44 20 7183 9040, or email us.