F# is increasingly used in domains such as finance, gaming, mobile & web development and testing – it makes it possible to solve complex problems with simple, maintainable and robust code. This two-day F# training course is essential for anyone looking to start using F# in practice and who would like to begin making the most of its functional and concurrent programming concepts.
Join Tomas Petricek – computer scientist, open-source developer and author of Real-World Functional Programming – as he provides you with a comprehensive insight into how F# simplifies domain modelling & testing, looking at it’s advanced, indispensable features for asynchronous and concurrent programming and data processing.
- Master the latest concepts and approaches to the F# language -
Who you will be learning with
Find yourself with developers and architects who have a solid background in C# and C++ and enterprise experience who are interested in what new perspectives and efficiencies F# can offer them.
How to apply these skills
Come away with the skills and knowledge to bring new business insights and solutions to your organization. Broaden your experience with F# to apply this robust and concise language to finding solutions to complex problems and to write scalable concurrent code.
Book early to receive a discount on the course price and in doing so you will not only commit to growing your own skillset, but help us grow our community of over 140,000 passionate techies.
Learn how to:
- Write effective and succinct solutions to complex problems in F#
- Model complex domains with functional types and domain specific languages (DSLs)
- Learn how to integrate F# in to your company workflow through prototyping, testing and scripting
- Use F# 3.0 type providers to gather and process data
- Use F# asynchronous workflows and agents to write scalable concurrent code
What the community says
"Thank you very much for the Fast Track to F# course. It was extremely good, and confirmed my impression that F# is under-appreciated. It was great to learn from Tomas and to have the chance to talk with him in the breaks, and Phil Trelford was there too for the meetup [in the evening]."Justin Forder
"Really enjoyable and useful, good mix of lectures and hands-on learning. "Chris Cracknell
"It's been incredible to have these two prominent members of the F# community as amazing instructors. "Attendee
- How does F# fit with the rest of the world?
- Object-oriented F# from a C# perspective
- Working with F# types and functions
- How F# avoids NullReferenceExceptions
Domain modelling and DSLs
- Modelling problem domains with functional types (“Domain on a single page”)
- Implementing business logic in F#
Writing applications in F#
- Testing F# code and using F# as a testing tool
- Building a retail .NET application in F#
Data processing and F# 3.0 type providers
- Obtaining data with type providers
- Processing and visualizing data
- Numerical calculations and machine learning
- How do F# type providers work?
Asynchronous and concurrent programming
- How to write non-blocking computations
- Asynchronous workflows for server-side and client-side programming
- Introducing agent-based concurrency in F#
- Designing concurrent scalable data-processing systems in F#
- A software developer who wants to use F# in a real-world software system?
- A software architect and want to find out how to best leverage the power of F#?
- A developer who wants to broaden your skill set and get a better grasp on concurrency and functional ideas?
This course has been tailored for C# & C++ developers with at least 2-3 years of enterprise experience, who would like to start evaluating or using F# or gain a new perspective on software architecture and development.
Whilst this course does not require prior experience with F# or functional programming, we do recommend that you have working knowledge of some object-oriented language. Similarly, some knowledge of .NET would be useful, but not required.
Bring your own hardware
Delegates are requested to bring their own laptop to participate in this course.
If you are unable to bring your own laptop and you let us know at least 2 weeks prior to your attendance of this course, our team will be able to provide you with a laptop pre-installed with the above environment.