Skills Matter have been proud supporters of the F# community from the moment we organised the first F# Tutorial in 2011. It is through this community - and it’s shared learning and experiences - that Phil & Tomas have developed one of the best F# courses available.
F# is increasingly used in domains such as finance, gaming, mobile & web development and testing - it makes it possible to solve complex problems with simple, maintainable and robust code.
This two-day course looks at a number of applications, exploring how F# simplifies domain modelling & testing, looking at it’s advanced, indispensable features for asynchronous and concurrent programming and data processing - making this an essential course for anyone looking to start using F# in practice who would like to begin making the most of functional and concurrent programming concepts.
Learn how to:
- Write effective and succinct solutions to complex problems in F#
- Model complex domains with functional types and domain specific languages (DSLs)
- Learn how to integrate F# in to your company workflow through prototyping, testing and scripting
- Use F# 3.0 type providers to gather and process data
- Use F# asynchronous workflows and agents to write scalable concurrent code
What the community says
"Thank you very much for the Fast Track to F# course. It was extremely good, and confirmed my impression that F# is under-appreciated. It was great to learn from Tomas and to have the chance to talk with him in the breaks, and Phil Trelford was there too for the meetup [in the evening]."Justin Forder on 30th Jun 2016
"Really enjoyable and useful, good mix of lectures and hands-on learning. "Chris Cracknell on 5th Mar 2015
"It's been incredible to have these two prominent members of the F# community as amazing instructors. "Attendee on 15th May 2014
- How does F# fit with the rest of the world?
- Object-oriented F# from a C# perspective
- Working with F# types and functions
- How F# avoids NullReferenceExceptions
Domain modelling and DSLs
- Modelling problem domains with functional types (“Domain on a single page”)
- Implementing business logic in F#
Writing applications in F#
- Testing F# code and using F# as a testing tool
- Building a retail .NET application in F#
Data processing and F# 3.0 type providers
- Obtaining data with type providers
- Processing and visualizing data
- Numerical calculations and machine learning
- How do F# type providers work?
Asynchronous and concurrent programming
- How to write non-blocking computations
- Asynchronous workflows for server-side and client-side programming
- Introducing agent-based concurrency in F#
- Designing concurrent scalable data-processing systems in F#
- A software developer who wants to use F# in a real-world software system?
- A software architect and want to find out how to best leverage the power of F#?
- A developer who wants to broaden your skill set and get a better grasp on concurrency and functional ideas?
This course has been tailored for C# & C++ developers with at least 2-3 years of enterprise experience, who would like to start evaluating or using F# or gain a new perspective on software architecture and development.
Whilst this course does not require prior experience with F# or functional programming, we do recommend that you have working knowledge of some object-oriented language. Similarly, some knowledge of .NET would be useful, but not required.
Bring your own hardware
Delegates are requested to bring their own laptop to participate in this course.