Designed for existing Scala developers and those with experience using Scala, this three-day Scala training course will both provide you with a refresher and then move into the advanced aspects of the Scala language and core libraries.
- Learn why Scala is fast becoming the favourite language of the world's most successful digital companies -
Join Dick Wall, Senior Software Engineer at CiBO Technologies, for ‘Advanced Scale 2018’, where you will dive into the intricacies of advanced Scala development. Develop your understanding of XML and JSON serialization, functional concepts (functors, monads and macros), internal and external domain-specific languages as well as the various aspects of the Scala language.
With some of the world’s largest companies using Scala, its utility as a clean, concise and fun language has already been identified. Gain the knowledge and skills to bring an advanced understanding of Scala to your organization and radically improve on productivity within your product development.
Who you will be sitting next to
Developers, library designers and leaders with solid experience in Scala looking to deepen their understanding of Scala to an expert level.
How to apply these skills
Take away a highly-developed understanding of the Scala language and the opportunities it provides to dramatically improve productivity with what is an advanced but concise, clean and ultimately fun language to use. With companies like LinkedIn, Twitter, and FourSquare using Scala, the potential of the Scala language has already been identified. Now all the world is waiting for is more Scala experts to fill the flood of Scala positions now opening up.
Book early to receive a discount on the course price and in doing so you will not only commit to growing your own skill set, but help us grow our community of over 140,000 passionate techies.
Interested in taking Scala Advanced on 10th - 12th December? Make it a week of learning by joining us for Scala eXchange 2018, and get a special discount on your conference ticket!
Call or email our team for more information on the ScalaX Fringe Package.
Learn how to:
- Use the Scala language in depth, including: type variance; bounds; implicit conversions; classes and parameters; and custom extractors
- Apply best practices, patterns and idioms to your use of Scala
- Understand XML and JSON serialization
- Use Internal and external domain specific languages
- Apply functional concepts including functors, monads, and macros
What the community says
"This was an excellent course by all means. Dick is not only well versed in the subject, but this teaching style is also very effective. The exercises were engaging and provided vital insights into best practices, which can be applied to existing projects."Robert Udah on 9th Dec 2015
"Good team work and a great introduction to monads!"Attendee on 16th Dec 2014
"This was, by far, the best Scala course I have ever attended."Patrick Tschorn on 16th Dec 2014
"By far the best course I've done in Skills Matter! Highly entertaining whilst keeping it within the scope. Explained complex logic in plain English. Very helpful in answering questions, definitely the experts in the field!"Sofia Lim on 16th Dec 2014
- When to use Mutable State
- Type Parameterization,
- Invariance, Co and Contra Variance
- Upper, Lower and Context Bounds
- Abstract Members in Depth
- Implicit Conversions and Parameters
- Type-classes / Context Bounds
- Implementing Types
- XML and JSON
- Type Classes and Phantom Types
- Modular Programming
- Object Equality, the Gory Details
- Scala Idioms and Best Practices
- Internal Domain Specific Languages
- Design Patterns for Scala
- Tail Recursion, Trampolines
- Functors and Monads
- Parser Combinators and External DSLs
- Writing Macros
This course is aimed at experienced Scala developers and for library designers and those who just want to hone their Scala skills.
To get the most out of this course, you should have a working knowledge of Scala with at least two months practical experience in developing with Scala.
Bring your own hardware
Delegates are required to bring their own laptop with Java 8 or higher installed.