Are you an experienced Scala developer or an API and Library programmer, wanting to up your Scala game? Want to learn the advanced aspects of the Scala language and core libraries? Then come along to Advanced Stairway to Scala 2017, a special 3-day Tutorial by Dick Wall and Bill Venners to hone your skills!
Join Bill Venners for Stairway to Scala 2017!
Advanced Stairway to Scala is squarely aimed at Scala API and Library programmers, and developers wanting to up their Scala game.
Day 1 is the language in depth, including type variance, bounds, implicit conversions, classes and parameters, and custom extractors.
Days 2 and 3 move into best practices, patterns, idioms, XML and JSON serialization, Internal and external domain specific languages, functional concepts including functors, monads, and macros.
Check out the full program here.
Learn how to:
- Use the Scala language in depth, including type variance, bounds, implicit conversions, classes and parameters, and custom extractors.
- Apply best practices, patterns and idioms
- Understand XML and JSON serialization
- Use Internal and external domain specific languages
- Apply functional concepts including functors, monads, and macros
What the community says
"This was an excellent course by all means. Dick is not only well versed in the subject, but this teaching style is also very effective. The exercises were engaging and provided vital insights into best practices, which can be applied to existing projects."Robert Udah on 9th Dec 2015
"Good team work and a great introduction to monads!"December '14 course delegate on 16th Dec 2014
"This was, by far, the best Scala course I have ever attended."Patrick Tschorn on 16th Dec 2014
"By far the best course I've done in Skills Matter! Highly entertaining whilst keeping it within the scope. Explained complex logic in plain English. Very helpful in answering questions, definitely the experts in the field!"Sofia Lim on 16th Dec 2014
Stairway to Scala (Advanced)
- When to use Mutable State
- Type Parameterization,
- Invariance, Co and Contra Variance
- Upper, Lower and Context Bounds
- Abstract Members in Depth
- Implicit Conversions and Parameters
- Type-classes / Context Bounds
- Implementing Types
- XML and JSON
- Type Classes and Phantom Types
- Modular Programming
- Object Equality, the Gory Details
- Scala Idioms and Best Practices
- Internal Domain Specific Languages
- Design Patterns for Scala
- Tail Recursion, Trampolines
- Functors and Monads
- Parser Combinators and External DSLs
- Writing Macros
This course is aimed at experienced Scala developers and for library designers and those who just want to hone their Scala skills.
To get the most out of this course, you should have a working knowledge of Scala with at least two months practical experience in developing with Scala. Scala knowledge equivalent to the competency obtained by completing the Applied course will be assumed for all students attending the Advanced Topics training.
Bring your own hardware
Delegates are requested to bring their own laptop with Java 6 or higher installed. If you are not able to bring in your own laptop, please contact the Skills Matter team on +44 207 1839040 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Please submit all laptop requests a minimum of 48 hours prior to the course as laptops are subject to availability.