This highly participatory 3 day workshop equips you with a toolkit to help align teams towards the quickest path to value and accelerate iterative delivery through more effective collaboration. Drawing on collaborative techniques from Lean, BDD and Specification by Example (as well as some new ones), you will gain a hands-on understanding of how to leverage examples to guide conversations and drive development throughout the life-cycle of a project and beyond, from ideas to living documentation, from analysis to Dev.
Most problems that teams face are about communication, and all the others are too - Dan North
Learn how to:
What the community says
"Jenny was great. Really knew her stuff."Harrison, M&G on 7th Nov 2018
"Very nice instructor - super helpful in explaining concepts I was unfamiliar with."Attendee, M&G on 7th Nov 2018
"Instructor has a good knowledge of the topic and kept the classroom engaged for 3 days. The course was very interactive and resourceful."Attendee, Department for Work and Pensions on 7th Nov 2018
"Lots of examples and group activities. This increased discussion and understanding of each topic. The materials were extremely useful. The tools used and methods discussed are a definite takeaway!"Philip, Department for Work and Pensions on 7th Nov 2018
"Very knowledgeable, and helped to come from a similar testing background. Easy to follow and understand with plenty of time on each subject to gain a good understanding."Attendee, M&G on 7th Nov 2018
Day 1 - Aligning to One Vision and Planning to Learn ##
- Lean Startup background, Build, Measure, Learn.
- The Feedback Onion
- Lean Analytics & One Metric that Matters (group activity)
- Business Model Canvas & Lean Canvas
- Deriving Scope from Goals
- Enabling the paradigm shift from IT as a cost to an investment
- Defining good measures
- Planning your first milestone
- Detailed walk through of the impact mapping technique with hands on exercises and project case study
Day 2 - BDD Discovery & Cutting off the leanest slice
- Background of BDD, DDD, TDD, Ubiquitous Language
- Doing the right amount of analysis
- Do we still need analysis? Group discussion
- Design Thinking & asteroids
- Story Mapping
- Dream Demo (group activity)
- OOPSI Mapping
- Using examples to drive conversations with different audiences
- Benefits of examples versus traditional requirements (activity)
- Examples vs. Stories vs. Tests vs. Rules
- What makes a good example?
- Keeping it Real (exercise)
Day 3 - BDD Delivery in practice
- Techniques (group activity)
- Process patterns – what makes a good SBE?
- Using Data Personas (group activity)
- Iterative versus incremental delivery
- Why Collaborate?
- Starting small with incremental examples (activity)
- Continuous Acceptance - A look at team roles and interactions
- Enabling good design & testability with Test-Driven Development
- Automation pitfalls
- The Test automation pyramid
- Executable specifications - exploration of approaches
- Examples at the foundation of a living documentation system (activity)
- BDD and DevOps
- How does this work in my organisation? (group discussion)
This course is great for any of the following: Project Managers, Test Managers, Scrum Masters, Product Owners, BAs, Testers, Developers, Architects, DevOps teams.
Bring your own hardware
Laptops are not needed for this course.