Are you ready to learn how to design and build microservices with RESTful APIs? Are you looking for dynamic, hands on training with in depth discussions to dig deep into your questions? Then this course is for you!
A comprehensive 3-day course comprising mixture of theory and practice at the leading edge of REST and Microservices. Course attendees will learn how to design and build microservices with RESTful APIs through examples in code, live demos and design challenges, together with lively discussion to help mature our thinking on what makes a competent microservices ecosystem.
µCon Fringe Package
Interested in taking RESTful Microservices on 29th - 30th October? Make it a week of learning by joining us for µCon 2018, and get a special discount on your conference ticket!
Call or email our team for more information.
Learn how to:
- Explore the software delivery lifecycle of a service
- Identify microservice roles and boundaries
- Design microservice APIs
- Operate and monitor a system of services
- Use software project management strategy
- Road-map for architectural ownership
What the community says
"Jim is the web God :)"Mohamed Amine Ben Asker on 20th Apr 2018
"Entertaining and informative."Rupert Hulme, Starlizard on 24th May 2017
Motivation for Microservices
- Forces driving us towards distributed systems as the norm
- Technology trends
- Delivery practices
Microservices as a delivery style
- Agile at scale
- Design for replacement
- Service guardians and project-as-investment
Enterprise Architecture: The Enemy?
- Microservices and strategy
- Enterprise architecture mappings to Microservices
- The role of the EA
The Web Platform
- Understanding the Web as a platform for distributed systems at large scale
- Protocols, actors, middleware
- Failure modes and fault tolerance
- Basic Web APIs
- Remote data at a distance
Clean Hypermedia APIs
- How RESTful services provide paths through the execution of systems of services
- Hypermedia controls: links, forms
- Formats and media types for expressing service contract
Hypermedia Deep dive
- Worked example outlining a system of microservices
- Enterprise context, enterprise pressures
- Introduction and evolution of services and business over time
From Monoliths to Microservices
- Case study on service migration
- Technology pressure
- Architectural challenges and solutions
Dealing with Distribution
- A look into leading edge technology and research into distributed systems
- Considering how distributed systems theory and practice affects Microservices design choices
Scale, Availability & Fault Tolerance
- The Web provides much, how do we use it?
Responsible evolution with Consumer-Driven Contracts
- Continuous delivery
- Bilateral service testing
- Dealing with change
- Aysnchronous, reliable event-driven computing over the Web
- Understanding the scale-latency trade off in such systems
- Learning from the consumer Web
- Service hacks and defenses
Enterprise Architecture and Governance
- Warp n wedft model for architecture, delivery
- Understanding the graph of systems of services
- Platforms for monitoring and reasoning
Attendees must be comfortable with a modern programming language to participate in the coding challenges, but otherwise eager technologists are welcome.
Bring your own hardware
To participate in this RESTful Microservices course, please bring your own laptop, so you can develop with your own tools and languages, rather than something you are not familiar with.