Learn to use Webpack, the open source bundler responsible for powering some of the most popular high-performance applications, and use it to make confident decisions about front-end architecture on your next project.
Join to learn why webpack exists, why you should use it to build your web applications, and how to leverage webpack as a key piece of your front-end or Node.js-build architecture.
Learn how to:
- Understand what webpack is and why you would want to use it
- Master webpack's capabilities
- Understand web performance fundamentals and how to leverage webpack to write performant web applications
- Customize webpack to integrate with your existing workflow and architectures
What the community says
"Sean is a really great teacher, he was able to explain concepts really well, and when a topic was quite complex he was able to clearly use the whiteboard or live code to better explain. His energy was great and, I fell, really helped to keep everyone focused. I've had poor experiences with training courses in the past but this one has encouraged me to attend more!"Damian, Just Eat on 27th Mar 2019
"Was engaging, interesting and seemed genuinely enthused about his subject. Was happy to detour/diverge from the plan when questions were raised which was really beneficial"Delegate
"Clearly super knowledgeable and more than happy to take the time to explain anything in more detail if someone asked. [...]"Attendee
"Excellent. Great explanations [...]"Michael
- Before Modules?
- The Advent of Node.js
- Modules "Born"
- The Advent of Bundlers
- Making CJS work in the browser, and more
- The Advent of webpack
- Learning from all the Predecessors
From Beginner - Getting Started with webpack
- Nothing but the command line
- The Core Concepts
- Starting Out Right
- The Essentials
- Putting it to Practice
Building for the Web
- Web Performance Techniques
- Code splitting
- Code sharing
- Long term caching/hashing
- Performance scenarios
- Performance hints
- Application scenarios (and trade-offs)
- Building for Node.js
- Node target
- Node mocks
- Building for Electron
- Electron target
- Electron renderer target
- What these targets expose and why
- Building for a Library
- Is webpack the bet tool for this?
- Why would I want to use something else?
- What can webpack do well?
- The output options and formats
- Rule sets/Use conditions
- Any loader capabilities and why you use them
- A look at all the Plugins webpack ships out of the box
- How to make your own custom Plugin
- Learning about the Plugin system
- Module Folders
- Resolved Extensions
- Make Your Own Toolchain
- webpack NodeAPI
- Should you surface a configuration?
- Prior art
Triage and Debug
- Build Size
- Bundle visualization tools
- Command line capabilities
- Module reasons
- Build Time
- [v4] - Profiling Plugin
- Running Node trace profiles
- Build time checklist
- Debugging webpack
- Build errors
- Functional errors
- Chrome DevTools and Node inspector
Bring your own hardware
To take part in this workshop you are required to bring your own laptop (Mac or PC) so that you can learn using your preferred IDE.