Is your software team using or planning to use Entity Framework Core for data access in your solutions? This two-day course will help you to understand EF Core's advanced features and patterns.
Join Julie Lerman, the World's foremost authority on Entity Framework learning, to employ some of EF Core's more advanced APIs as well as proven practices for integrating EF Core into your real-world solutions.
Course content subject to change during community feedback phase. If you would like to contribute your opinions on this new course programme, you can give us feedback here.
Learn how to:
- Use advanced features like logging, migrations and data seeding during development and when deploying apps
- Design intelligent APIs for accessing data while learning pros and cons of patterns such as repositories
- Take advantage of the fluent API to perform tricky mappings between your classes and your relational database
- Understand the upcoming capabilities for persisting Azure Cosmos DB and other NoSQL databases
- Test your EF code effectively
- Benefit from performance tips and tricks
See something missing or want to dig deeper on a topic? Please give us your feedback on this new course programme.
Day 1: Leverage Advanced Features
- High level review of EF Core differencesfrom EF6
- Implementing logging to capture EF Core’s database and in-memory activity. Learn about different types of logging data to be captured
- Learn various approaches to seeding such as via database scripts, code or using the migration-based seeding introduced in EF Core 2.1. You’ll also learn when each approach may be appropriate
- Using migrations during development,within source control and during deployments
- Integration testing your EF Core code
Day 2: EF Core in Your Software Architecture
- The Great Repository Debate: Pros and Cons of the Repository Pattern/Generic Repositories for exposing EF Core
- Designing Data Layers/APIs
- Understanding complicated mapping conventions and supplementing those with custom mappings using the Fluent API
- Designing for performance
- *Bonus topic* If all modules have been covered, you will also look at EF Core in Azure Functions and EF Core with Azure Cosmos DB given adequate time
This course is intended for .NET developers who are already using EF Core or moving from EF6 to EF Core. It will also be beneficial to software architects, practice managers and QA teams that will be involved in your team’s data access design.
In order to best benefit from the course you should have the following requirments:
- Be working as a .NET developer
- Have some experience with EF6 or EF Core
- Have some familiarity with .NET Core
- Be proficient with C#
- Be proficient in using VS2017 (or greater) or Visual Studio Code
Bring your own hardware
In order to participate in this course you are required to bring your own laptop.