Chief Marketing Officer, Skills Matter
Reporting to the company’s CEO, the Chief Marketing Officer has overall responsibility for marketing at Skills Matter. The Chief Marketing Officer is responsible for the overall brand strategy, planning and execution of marketing activities at Skills Matter, including brand positioning, market segmentation, brand awareness, performance marketing, and management of the marketing budget. Candidates must have experience marketing B2C and B2B membership-based platforms ideally to software professionals and enterprise customers.
- Creates and executes the company overall marketing strategy.
- Creates and executes the company marketing messaging platform.
- Ensure consistent positioning and messaging across marketing and sales activities.
- Responsible for defining and implementing mechanisms for determining the effectiveness of our marketing activities and reporting the results to the management team frequently.
- Public relations.
- Industry analyst relationships.
- Formulates and recommends policies and objectives for the organization’s product marketing activities.
- Directs and coordinates all activities of the product marketing operation in accomplishing organization objectives.
- Cultivate solid relationships with analysts, media, opinion makers, and industry leaders.
- Directs all organization advertising and sales promotion activities. Coordinates the selection and approval of advertising agency.
- Monitors performance against budget objectives.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by management.
- A Bachelor’s degree in marketing and/or equivalent experience. A MBA with a marketing concentration is desirable.
- 10+ years in a marketing management role.
- 5+ years of tech industry experience.
- Experience establishing and building a B2C brand.
- Experience marketing a community-based membership platform ideally to software professionals and enterprise customers.
- Demonstrated leadership in managing outbound marketing to achieve objectives. Must be proficient in working with sales, marketing and engineering.
- Demonstrated ability to increase inbound marketing activities and work with online and social media.
- Strong communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to create programs that result in lead generation that support sales objectives.
- Proven ability to convert programs/strategies into operational plans and to manage plans to successful resolution.
- Strong ability to understand and work with media and analysts.
- Proven experience in launch campaigns and the ability to bring new products successfully to market.
- Possess an entrepreneurial spirit, initiative and solid follow-through.
- Ability to manage a team of directs as well as vendor teams to targeted goals.
The ideal candidate must be a proven leader and will have successfully led the branding and marketing activities of a company as it has grown in scale to at least $100M in revenue. The candidate should be very comfortable presenting to clients, the board, and large audiences.
Key core competencies for the candidate include:
- Leadership/Judgment: Showing wisdom in making decisions and acting with a view to what is most appropriate, reasonable, timely and realistic.
- Driving Positive Change: Committing the organization to significantly different ways of doing things in the service of higher levels of organizational performance.
- Entrepreneurial Drive: Someone who has the understanding that an early stage growth company requires someone in leadership to get their hands dirty in order to get the job done
- Driving Results: Rigorously holding oneself and others accountable for achieving high levels of individual and organizational performance.
- Leadership. Best of breed leadership skills including the ability to effectively communicate a great vision and inspire the team to achieve it.
- Analytical. Highly analytical -- able to utilize data to support position. Very strong intellect, can function effectively in an industry of “super smart” people.
- Creative. Able to think "out of the box" about new ways to grow the business.
- Relationship-builder. Someone who builds strong relationships both internally and externally. Works effectively across the organization, is diplomatic and a good negotiator. Not bureaucratic/hierarchical. Excellent communication skills.
- Will to win. Someone who is aggressive about competing externally (not internally political).
- Pragmatic. A “straight talker” while being diplomatic, someone who surfaces bad news quickly, and doesn't "sugar coat" the message.
- Hands on. Someone with the “Just Do It” gene who can be scrappy in the face of short terms demands. Ability to change course quickly when required.
- Pace. An entrepreneurial spirit. Someone who is effective at managing change and stress in a fast-moving and constantly evolving business.
- Self-confidence. Able to take and give various inputs and not back down; passionate @ views and able to defend them effectively. Ability and willingness to make the tough calls when necessary.
- Presence. Strong communications skills with both internal and external audiences.
Skills Matter offers an attractive compensation package, consisting of competitive salary, bonus opportunity and equity participation.