Community Events Manager, London-based
What You'll Be Doing
Skills Matter Communities encompass a group of People, Companies, and Events (e.g. Conferences, Workshops, Meetup Groups).
Each Community is defined by a central interest — this might be technology-based (e.g. Java, Python), it might be a methodology (Domain-Driven Design, Agile), or it might be ideological (Leadership, Sustainability).
As a Community Events Manager, you will oversee 3-4 Communities.
You will be responsible for organizing Community events, while developing relationships with attendees, user groups, and key influencers within each Community.
You will achieve this by:
- Managing the planning and execution of all events for the Community, and ensuring that they are accessible.
- Meeting the needs of attendees, speakers, partners and sponsors in the Community.
- Providing support for the marketing efforts for the Community — newsletter, social media, blogging, video interviews, etc.
- Ensuring the financial viability of each Community by providing leads to our Enterprise Sales Team.
- Documenting your work using tools such as Asana, Hubspot and Google Docs.
What You'll Bring to the Role
- You should be comfortable communicating both verbally and in writing to customers, partners, clients, colleagues, and expert speakers
- You should also be comfortable making new outbound contacts with people and organizations (potential speakers and partners).
- A large part of this role involves scheduling and adhering to timelines, so you must have strong time management skills.
- You will participate in Community events as required – this may include hosting online sessions, introduce speakers, etc. This may require you to be on stage or on camera.
- You do not need to have a technical background, though given some of the content, it may provide you a leg up.
Responsibilities Per Community
Each Community Events Manager oversees a number of Communities for Skills Matter. Based on the size of these communities, KPIs and targets may vary, but responsibilities are consistent.
As Skills Matter's internal subject matter expert for each community you oversee, you will:
- Maintain knowledge about speakers and experts.
- Competitor research (conferences, courses, etc.).
- Understand trends, changes and developments within the community.
- You will be the primarily stakeholder/event manager for Skills Matter conferences within your Communities.
- Oversee each conference from end-to-end, from planning to event execution, to retrospectives after the event.
- Collaborate with Operations Team on the logistics of in-person, online and hybrid conferences — this may include hosting online sessions, introducing speakers, selecting suitable Community members to introduce speakers, etc.
- Organize and coordinate Program Committees for Skills Matter's in-house conferences.
- Work closely with the Operations and Finance teams to manage conference budgets and take fiscal responsibility for events in your Community.
- Develop relationships with third-party conference organizers with the aim of hosting their events on the Skills Matter platform.
- Coordinate with partner organizations and Operations Team to administer and run third-party conferences.
- Ensure that experts and speakers receive any appropriate contract before the event and are remunerated/expenses repaid as required after the event.
- Ensure events are meeting targets — financial (e.g. Ticket Sales), strategic (e.g. Attendance) or value-based (e.g. Diversity of Speaker Program).
- Where needed, introduce speakers and events onstage or on-screen.
- Collaborate with Marketing & Design teams to develop Conference-related visuals and web pages.
Meetups, User Groups and Community Outreach
- Work with Community Advisory Boards to organize a series of regular events within your community.
- Develop relationships with User Groups (meetups) around the globe.
- Enlist User Groups to host their events on the Skills Matter platform.
- Ensure User Groups on the Skills Matter platform are regularly hosting events.
- Confirm Community Group events are properly formatted within the Skills Matter platform, with accurate, inviting and interesting event descriptions.
- Work with Operations Team on execution of in-person, online and hybrid Community Group events.
- Work with Operations Team on execution of in-person, online and hybrid User Group events.
- Facilitate introductions between User Groups and Speakers and other groups.
- Provide marketing support for Community Groups (in collaboration with Marketing Teams).
- Appear at Community Group events as representative of Skills Matter where needed.
- Regularly attend Meetups (online or in-person) within your community.
Speaker and Expert Relationships
- Maintain knowledge of speakers and experts within your Community (Who is popular? Who is up-and-coming? Who has moved on to other areas?)
- Coordinate invitations of experts to speak at events.
- Help experts promote their projects within the Skills Matter community.
- Work with experts to create opportunities for paid Workshops (Open-enrolment and private).
Enterprise Relationships and Sales
- Research and maintain up-to-date knowledge of Companies working within your community.
- Develop relationships with Companies working within your Community.
- Solicit talks for Conferences and Meetups from Companies working within your Community.
- Form partnerships with Companies working within your Community.
- Use your knowledge of the Community to provide leads for Enterprise Sales Team for things like Sponsorships, group ticket buys, course/workshop requests, etc.
- Facilitate relationships between Companies and Community Groups.
- This is a full-time role, based out of our London office. As a company, we are currently working in a hybrid fashion, with employees reporting remotely and to our London office. Successful applicants will be expected to work both remotely and to work from the London office when required.
- Salary is flexible and would ideally be based on your experience-level.
To apply, submit a Cover Letter and Resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This job posting closes 11 April 2022. Successful applicants will be contacted to schedule interviews by 15 April 2022.