Architectural Simplicity through Events: A war story of managing the challenge of integration and flexibility
In this talk Russ Miles, principal consultant with Simplicity Itself, will share the story of how he helped architect, design and implement a flexible and highly integrated real-world solution that was drastically simplified by using events.
Complexity is the silent killer of productivity in software development. An unnecessarily complex solution can result in an order of magnitude larger problem for system evolution, even to the point of bringing a solution's development to a halt as 'it has just become too complex to develop further'.
Event Driven Architectures are often associated with complexity (we even have 'Complex Event Processing' as a technique and toolset to manage this supposed complexity) but with the patterns and tools introduced in this talk Russ will attempt to show how this is not a case of intrinsic complexity but rather something we accidentally introduce and can avoid.
Using an implementation technology-agnostic approach, this talk will cover:
- What is architectural simplicity and why is it crucially important
- Tradeoffs of simplicity vs. complexity when buying flexibility.
- What to barter with, and what to avoid.
- How to think differently about your architecture, its integration challenges and its evolution over time using the Life Preserver pattern and tool.
- How to design simple events and domains.
- How to apply these patterns to your daily architectural decision-making processes.
Russ' experience covers almost every facet of software delivery having worked across many different domains including Financial Services, Publishing, Defence, Insurance and Search. With over 18 years experience of consultancy, coaching and training, Russ helps to change all facets of the software delivery process in order to remove unnecessary and costly complexity in everything from developer skills and practices, through applying the right processes for the job at hand, to ensuring that the right change is delivered, be it through software or otherwise.
Sorry, no member has joined this event so far.