This month's London Data Science Journal Club we'll be looking at and discussing Google's RAPPOR project for anonymized data collection!
• "RAPPOR: Randomized Aggregatable Privacy-Preserving Ordinal Response", Úlfar Erlingsson, Vasyl Pihur, Aleksandra Korolova
• "Building a RAPPOR with the Unknown: Privacy-Preserving Learning of Associations and Data Dictionaries", Giulia Fanti, Vasyl Pihur, Úlfar Erlingsson
• Google have provided some simulation and analysis code (in R and Python).
• There is a Youtube introduction to differential privacy at
• And a Microsoft Research lecture here
A note about the Journal Club format:
There is no speaker at Journal Club.
There is NO speaker at Journal Club.
We split into small groups of 6 people and discuss the papers. For the first hour the groups are random to make sure everyone is on the same page. Afterwards we split into blog/paper/code groups to go deeper.
Volunteers sometimes seed the discussion by guiding through the paper highlights for 5 mins. You are very welcome to volunteer in the comments.
Reading the materials in advance is really helpful. If you don't have time, please come anyway. We need this group to learn together.