In this talk, Ben will introduce some fundamentals of cryptocurrency, before diving deep into Java bytecode and classloading, to discuss a new way to make the JVM environment suitable for running 'smart contracts'. These contracts have applications to distributed cryptographic ledgers, blockchains and cryptocurrencies. Ben will then introduce a real example based on R3's Corda ledger (part of the Hyperledger project) and discuss some future directions and practical applications.
Developers who are interested in learning more about the JVM's bytecode and classloading subsystems should attend. No previous knowledge or experience of distributed ledgers, cryptocurrency or blockchains is required.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- Fantastic Bytecodes & How To Interpret Them (SkillsCast recorded in July 2018)
- Extreme Java: Advanced Topics with Dr Heinz Kabutz (Online Course on 29th - 30th March 2021)
- Extreme Java: Concurrency Performance with Dr Heinz Kabutz (Online Course on 31st March - 2nd April 2021)
- Process Automation in Cloud-Native Architectures (SkillsCast recorded in December 2020)
- Typecheck Your Memory Management with Linear Types (SkillsCast recorded in November 2020)
The JVM as a platform for building smart contracts
Ben Evans is an author, entrepreneur, consultant and educator. His career highlights to date include: Co-founding jClarity, a performance startup, Chief Architect for Listed Derivatives at Deutsche Bank, Performance testing the Google IPO, consulting CTO to several startups, initial UK trials of 3G networks with BT, building award-winning websites for some of Hollywood's biggest hits of the 90s, developing some of the UK’s very first true e-commerce websites, building multibillion dollar low-latency trading systems and designing technology to help some of the UK’s most vulnerable people.