Please log in to watch this conference skillscast.
During this talk you will learn how microservice interconnectivity layers (a.k.a. edges) should be tested. There is a fundamental flaw in existing testing practices, which carries major risks to microservice architectures.
Rand and Nikhil will share a solution in which the provider microservice ships with an intelligent fake that expresses the provider's behaviors. The consumer microservice uses the fake to exercise its non-vanilla interactions with the provider in unit testing.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- Implementing Microservices In Serverless Paradigm (SkillsCast recorded in November 2018)
- Flexible Architectures: Microservices, Self-contained Systems and Continuous Delivery with Eberhard Wolff & Niko Will (Online Workshop on 22nd - 24th February 2022)
- Understanding Distributed Systems using OpenTelemetry with Liz Fong-Jones (Online Workshop on 7th March 2022)
- Test Those Metrics! Our Black-Box Approach for Observability Testing (SkillsCast recorded in December 2021)
- Accessibility Testing: Why and How to Involve People with Disabilities (SkillsCast recorded in October 2021)
Microservice Edge Testing
Nikhil Barthwal is a Senior Software Engineer and a Start-up mentor. He has several years of work experience with both big companies & smaller startups and also acts as a mentor to several startups. He is particularly fond of using Functional programming languages for better productivity.
Outside work, he speaks at local meetups as well as international conferences on several topics related to Distributed systems & Programming Languages. He has a Master’s in Distributed Systems and a Bachelor’s in Electrical Engineering.
Rand Davis is passionate about building systems and successful engineering organizations. He tends to fill various roles simultaneously, but have a steady hand in distributed systems architectures, software development process, and developer productivity. He is currently the Head of Software Engineering at Code Eight, a stealth start-up that is tightly affiliated with Walmart and Jet.com.