Please log in to watch this conference skillscast.
Your applications frequently consist of business logic, communication, persistence, caches & logging. You always want to keep them apart and reason about each of them individually. However, this is very difficult to achieve in practice.
Enter free monad. It lets you decouple those concerns by dividing our program into algebras and interpreters. During this talk, you will discover an application built on top of free monad in Scala & Cats. You will learn how to create pure & declarative DSLs, side-effecting interpreters and how to use them together. Then you will explore Freestyle library and show how it makes the code more concise. At the end, you will compare the free monad approach to another technique used to decouple concerns: tagless final.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- Building multiplayer game using streams - Beginner (SkillsCast recorded in December 2016)
- FP in Kotlin with Arrow with Jorge Castillo (Online Course on 24th - 27th May 2021)
- F# eXchange 2021 (Online Conference on 20th - 21st October 2021)
- Intro to OCaml (SkillsCast recorded in June 2020)
- Keynote: (Programming Languages) in Agda = Programming (Languages in Agda) (SkillsCast recorded in October 2019)
Freestyle, Free & Tagless: Separation of Concerns on Steroids
Polyglot software engineer specialised in developing distributed applications. Functional programming enthusiast. Loves the human component in software projects. Drinks a lot of tea. Has a blog at michalplachta.com. He currently works as team leader at Ocado Technology, where he is building actor-based software for automated warehouses.