Please log in to watch this conference skillscast.
In this talk, you will explore a real world use case combining typeclasses, literal types, shapeless and scala.meta to program the type-system to understand and validate simple SQL queries.The resulting solution will ensure they match a given schema without requiring a database connection!!
The code examples are based on Troy, an open-source Cassandra driver which allows developers to paste raw queries within Scala code in a way such that they get compile time schema validation and derivation of case-class marshallers for free.
The talk targets established Scala developers who would like to know more about advanced Scala features and libraries. You will learn how to program the type system, use HLists, and augment all of that using a pinch of scala.meta on the top!
Have a sneak peek at the code examples here.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- Factor Recursion Out of Your Codebase (SkillsCast recorded in December 2018)
- What is happening with Java? (Online Meetup on 6th June 2022)
- WebAssembly for Java Developers (Online Meetup on 8th June 2022)
- A History of Enterprise Monads (SkillsCast recorded in May 2021)
- Connecting the dots - building and structuring a functional application in Scala (SkillsCast recorded in May 2021)
How to Program the Type System
Tamer is a Senior Software Engineer at Disney Streaming Services, building and maintaining distributed systems armed with nothing but Scala, types and the power of functional programming.