Please log in to watch this conference skillscast.
Using a toy language for declarative infrastructure, this talk will explore functional programming techniques for writing domain specific languages. The talk will start with a single function and demonstrate how to use ADTs to write an embedded DSL and interpreter. You will then discover parser combinators, a monadic DSL for parsing. You will use them to write an interpreter, then extend our program to compile the language into shell commands. As time permits, you will explore different paths forward for your DSL – you will learn some shortcomings of our embedded DSL and how they motivate the Free monad. You will also discover the motivation for data-types a-la-carte and recursion schemes.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- Lightbend Akka for Scala - Professional (in London on 11th - 12th November 2019)
- Advanced Scala with Dick Wall (in London on 9th - 11th December 2019)
- Clojure eXchange 2019 (in London on 2nd - 3rd December 2019)
- Scala eXchange London 2019 (in London on 12th - 13th December 2019)
- Code Kata: Yilin Wei - Optics with Monocle (in London on 22nd October 2019)
- Reprogramming Biology with F# (in London on 28th November 2019)
- Keynote: (Programming Languages) in Agda = Programming (Languages in Agda) (SkillsCast recorded in October 2019)
- Lightning Talk: Generating Castles for Minecraft™ using Haskell (SkillsCast recorded in October 2019)