Please log in to watch this conference skillscast.
You love Scala, but the one aspect you have a hard time accepting are long compile times.
It’s not uncommon for a project to experience compilation times of a handful of minutes, if not worse. On top of that, compilation times are unpredictable, depending on a combination of language features, external libraries, and type annotations. A single line change may increase compilation times ten fold.
Don’t bow to the compiler and accept long compilation times! Rather, join this talk to learn how the compiler works and optimize your usage of Scala to compile faster!
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- Lightbend Akka for Scala - Professional (in London on 11th - 12th November 2019)
- Lightbend Scala Language - Professional (in London on 10th - 11th December 2019)
- Lightbend Akka for Scala - Expert (in London on 16th - 17th December 2019)
- Compiling like a Boss! (SkillsCast recorded in December 2017)
- Masterclass: Reducing Technical Debt with Michael C. Feathers (in London on 28th - 29th October 2019)
- Scala eXchange London 2019 (in London on 12th - 13th December 2019)
- Scalax2gether Community Day 2019 (in London on 14th December 2019)
- Code Kata: Yilin Wei - Optics with Monocle (in London on 22nd October 2019)
- Keynote by Konrad Kokosa: What’s New in .NET Core 3.0 and .NET 5.0 for Performance and Memory-Aware Folks? (in London on 29th October 2019)
- GHC Runtime Linker by Example (SkillsCast recorded in October 2019)
- Parsley: A Staged Selective Parser Combinator Library (SkillsCast recorded in October 2019)
Lightning Talk - 5 Things You Need to Know About Scala Compilation: #3 Will Blow Your Mind!
Iulian Dragoș dreams about a world where the Scala programming language is the default choice for new projects. He learned Scala by writing the compiler backend for it during his PhD at EPFL, back in 2004, and he was the first employee of Lightbend (formerly Typesafe). At Lightbend he helped the company grow from 5 to 85 employees, playing the role of engineer, technical lead, consultant, trainer or sales engineer. Iulian is a frequent speaker at conferences and actively contributing to several open-source projects.
Co-founder of a stealth mode startup aiming at revolutionising Scala developers' life. Mirco has 10+ year experience with Scala, and also has extensive knowledge on Akka, Lagom, Playframework, and Sbt. Before founding his own company, he worked at Lightbend (formerly known as Typesafe), where he wore different hats: from engineering, to consulting, and (fun fact) even sales! He is a certified Lightbend trainer for Akka, Playframework, and Scala. He loves meeting people and sharing experiences, so don't hesitate to say hi when you see him. In his freetime, he plays chess and studies wine - both theory and practice! :)