Please log in to watch this conference skillscast.
In this talk, Fahd will share with you that type providers have untapped potential for important applications beyond data schemes. You will learn that they can be used for structuring the interactions between distributed applications. In particular, Fahd will present a type provider library for compile-time generation of session types. As data types codify the structure of the computation, session types codify the structure of communication by stipulating the order and the types of the messages that are exchanged between distributed processes. Having Session types as the unit of composition for communication allows you to detect communication errors such as deadlocks, race conditions, and communication mismatch, statically. Hence, you present a user-friendly library, that allow users to have compile-time guarantees on the communication with other processes.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- Lightning Talk Session: Value Constraint at Compile-Time (SkillsCast recorded in April 2017)
- Haskell at Work (Online Workshop on 30th January - 2nd February 2023)
- Haskell eXchange 2022: Novice Track (Online Conference on 7th December 2022)
- Haskell eXchange 2022: Online Conference (Online Conference on 8th - 9th December 2022)
- A Conceptual Introduction to Nix for Haskellers (SkillsCast recorded in November 2021)
- Haskell in the Enterprise: A Report from in the Belly of the Whale (SkillsCast recorded in November 2021)
Lightning Talk: Session types for F#ers
Fahd is a Master student at Imperial College London, who has done his Master thesis on session types and their application over F#. New to the F# community and the language, he loves to speak and learn about it every day. Other than that, he loves spending his spare time learning about different theories and technologies, especially type theory and functional programming.