For our first talk in March we will have an acknowledged expert in the field of serverless architecture and AWS, Yan Cui and his colleague, Scott Smethurst, discussing those tricky issues.
AWS Lambda has changed the way we deploy and run software, but this new serverless paradigm has created new challenges to old problems - how do you test a cloud-hosted function locally? How do you monitor them? What about logging and config management? And how do we start migrating from existing architectures? In this talk Yan and Scott will discuss solutions to these challenges by drawing from real-world experience running Lambda in production and migrating from an existing monolithic architecture.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- You wouldn't build your own toaster, would you? (SkillsCast recorded in September 2019)
- Java Design Patterns: The Timeless Way of Coding with Dr Heinz Kabutz (Online Course on 12th - 15th October 2020)
- Domain Models in Practice: DDD, CQRS & Event Sourcing with Marco Heimeshoff (Online Course on 2nd - 6th November 2020)
- CloudNative eXchange 2020 (Online Conference on 17th - 18th November 2020)
- Strategic Domain-Driven Design Tools For Non‑DDD People (Online Meetup on 29th October 2020)
- Debugging Containers on Kubernetes with "kubectl debug" (SkillsCast recorded in July 2020)
- Azure DevOps (SkillsCast recorded in July 2020)
Serverless in production, an experience report by Yan Cui and Scott Smethurst
Scott’s passion for computing began when he was gifted a Commodore 64 for Christmas in 1988 and really took hold while studying Computer Science at the University of Manchester. He’s been an architect, lead developer and consultant within a variety of industries, working with organisations ranging from a multi-billion pound corporation to a failed start-up. Scott has spent most of the past 2 years designing and building several serverless architectures and has decided to start sharing some of those experiences.
Yan is an experienced engineer who has run production workload at scale in AWS for nearly 10 years. He has been an architect and principal engineer with a variety of industries ranging from banking, e-commerce, sports streaming to mobile gaming. He has worked extensively with AWS Lambda in production, and has been helping various UK clients adopt AWS and serverless as an independent consultant.