Please log in to watch this conference skillscast.
Deep conversations with domain experts and careful attention to the language are central in software development and in particular in Domain-Driven Design (DDD). However, it takes many years and many failures to get better at this game.
Still, over time it is possible to extract a growing set of techniques and heuristics that can boost the effectiveness of the interviews with domain experts, to learn faster and converge quickly to better models.
There are techniques and heuristics for asking better questions, listening carefully to words and other signals, and for managing credibility as a developer facing business experts.
If you think all the above is important, then these interviewing techniques will improve your skills, step up the quality of your collaboration with your domain experts, and will provide benefits for better domain models. And if you find all that boring, then perhaps you could focus your career on Java EE instead.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- Domain Modelling For Digital Transformations (SkillsCast recorded in October 2019)
- Applied Domain-Driven Design — Full-Stack Event Sourcing (in Online Event on 9th July 2020)
- Debugging Containers on Kubernetes with "kubectl debug" (in Online Event on 23rd July 2020)
- Safe and Reproducible Deployments with Immutable Infrastructure (SkillsCast recorded in May 2020)
- Keynote: The Importance of Laughter (SkillsCast recorded in October 2019)
Keynote - Interviewing Domain Experts: Heuristics from the Trenches
Cyrille Martraire is CTO and partner at Arolla, the founder of the Paris Software Craftsmanship community and a regular speaker at international conferences.