Please log in to watch this conference skillscast.
Deep conversations with domain experts and careful attention to the language are central in software development and in particular in Domain-Driven Design (DDD). However, it takes many years and many failures to get better at this game.
Still, over time it is possible to extract a growing set of techniques and heuristics that can boost the effectiveness of the interviews with domain experts, to learn faster and converge quickly to better models.
There are techniques and heuristics for asking better questions, listening carefully to words and other signals, and for managing credibility as a developer facing business experts.
If you think all the above is important, then these interviewing techniques will improve your skills, step up the quality of your collaboration with your domain experts, and will provide benefits for better domain models. And if you find all that boring, then perhaps you could focus your career on Java EE instead.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- Domain Modelling For Digital Transformations (SkillsCast recorded in October 2019)
- Crafting Code with Sandro Mancuso (Online Course on 14th - 15th January 2021)
- Microservices Architecture with Jorge Ortiz‑Fuentes (Online Course on 15th - 17th February 2021)
- Strategic Domain-Driven Design Tools For Non-DDD People (SkillsCast recorded in October 2020)
- Lightning Talk: Specification as a Library (SkillsCast recorded in October 2020)
Keynote - Interviewing Domain Experts: Heuristics from the Trenches
Cyrille Martraire is CTO and partner at Arolla, the founder of the Paris Software Craftsmanship community and a regular speaker at international conferences.