Please log in to watch this conference skillscast.
Docker has the potential to revolutionize how we build, deliver, support and even design software. But it doesn't have to be a violent revolution.
The end goal might be breaking your existing ASP.NET monolith into Microservices which run cross-platform on .NET Core, but the first step can be as simple as packaging your whole .Net Framework application as-is into a Docker image and running it as a container.
In this session, Elton will take an existing ASP.NET WebForms application and package it as a Docker image, which can run in a container on Windows Server 2016 and Windows 10. He'll show you how to run the app and a SQL Server database in Docker containers on Windows, and how to use Docker Compose to define the structure of a distributed application. Then he'll iteratively add functionality to the app, making use of the Docker platform to modernize the monolith without a full rebuild.
Elton will take a feature-driven approach and show you how Docker makes it easy to address performance, usability and design issues.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- Just What Is A "Service Mesh", And If I Get One Will It Make Everything OK? (SkillsCast recorded in September 2019)
- Docker Fundamentals with Matt Saunders (Online Course on 22nd - 25th February 2021)
- Functional Concurrency in .NET with C# and F# with Riccardo Terrell (Online Course on 8th - 11th March 2021)
- CloudNative eXchange 2020 (Online Conference on 14th - 15th December 2020)
- Smash you some Haskell on a Minikube (SkillsCast recorded in November 2020)
- Machine Learning Made Easy with ML.NET and F# (SkillsCast recorded in October 2020)
Modernizing Traditional .NET Apps with Docker
Elton is a Pluralsight Author, Microsoft MVP and he works as an architect at Docker. He's been architecting and delivering successful solutions with Microsoft technologies since 2000, most recently Big Data and API implementations in Azure, and distributed applications with Docker and Kubernetes. Currently he's interested the evolution of the Microsoft stack, exploring the great opportunities to modernize existing .NET Framework apps with Docker, and run them alongside new .NET Core apps in Windows and Linux containers in Kubernetes. Elton is a regular presenter and workshop host at conferences. He's been fortunate to speak at DockerCon, NDC, DevSum, ProgNet, SDD, Container Camp and Future Decoded. You'll often see him at user groups too - Docker London, London DevOps and WinOps are his locals.