Please log in to watch this conference skillscast.
Docker has seen a lot of hype as being a technology for building scalable, modern, distributed applications. But is Docker the answer to all of your problems?
Turns out, there is more to it than just throwing legacy monolithic applications into a container and deploying them on Kubernetes.
John will explore with you the 12-Factor methodology as the industry standard set of best practices for building modern, scalable and maintainable cloud-native applications. You will learn where containers inherently adhere to 12-Factor best practices, and where there is action required by YOU - the developer, to follow 12-Factor, before using containers. Ultimately, you will learn that Docker is a wonderful tool for building distributed, scalable applications, but like any tool, it is possible to use incorrectly.
You will also discover an example application that will be available on Github with different branches to show 12-Factor and non-12-Factor versions. John will then share live demos of deploying the app on Kubernetes with a setup for centralizing logs.
Top 3 Learnings: - What is 12-Factor and why you should care about it! - Using containers does not automatically adhere you to 12-Factor! Learn where Docker inherently follows 12-Factor and when to use best practices when it does not. - Learn about some of the anti-patterns to avoid when building Docker 12-Factor apps.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- Fast Track to Chaos Engineering with Russ Miles (in London on 1st - 3rd July 2019)
- Fast Track to DevOps Fundamentals (in London on 2nd - 3rd September 2019)
- ProgNET London 2019 (in London on 11th - 13th September 2019)
- Keynote by Kris Nova on The Power of Linux Virtualization with Cloud Native (in London on 19th June 2019)
- Keynote by Markus Eisele on Java in the Age of Containers and Serverless (in London on 20th June 2019)
- Getting Into the Zero Downtime Deployment World (SkillsCast recorded in June 2019)
- Securing microservices in a serverless world (SkillsCast recorded in June 2019)
Build Modern 12-Factor Apps With Docker
John works as a Developer Advocate at IBM where he enables enterprise developers to adopt containers for their applications. He has a wide-range of development experience including developing new features in large legacy DoD applications and designing service-oriented architectures. John is a Docker Captain, and enjoys sharing his Docker experiences by speaking at conferences and organizing the Docker Meetup in his hometown of Richmond, VA.