Please log in to watch this conference skillscast.
The great news is that Android Plugin 3.1.0 and higher include major changes that bring significant performance improvements to large multi-module projects—in some cases, we've experienced builds that are 3-5X faster! Some of the improvements include:
- Better parallelism for multi-module projects through a fine-grained task graph
- Variant-aware dependency management. (When building a certain variant of a module, the plugin now automatically matches variants of local library module dependencies to the variant of the module you are building)
- Compilation avoidance via new dependency configurations
- Faster incremental build speed due to per-class dexing. Each class is now compiled into separate DEX files, and only the classes that are modified are re-compiled
- Faster resource packaging with AAPT2 enabled by default. In order to bring about these improvements, there are some breaking changes in the plugin behaviour, Domain Specific Language (DSL), and APIs. In this talk, a member of the Android Studio team shows you how to easily migrate your project to the new plugin, resolve build errors, optimize your build configuration, and prepare your project to take advantage of future improvements to the plugin
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: