We'll take a tour of the past, present and future of error handling in C++ - including a number of proposals currently in-flight, and the thinking behind them. Along the way will attempt to put a score on all the trade-offs of the different approaches we encounter along the way to see how they stack up.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- Dawn of a New Error (SkillsCast recorded in October 2019)
- Java Forum (Online Conference on 31st August 2022)
- YOW! Perth Developer Conference 2022: In-Person (in Perth on 19th - 20th September 2022)
- Bazel eXchange Panel: Day 2 (SkillsCast recorded in June 2022)
- Fast, Green — Choose Two: A Buildkite Case Study (SkillsCast recorded in June 2022)
Option(al) Is Not a Failure
Phil is the author of the test frameworks, Catch - for C++ and Objective-C, and Swordfish for Swift. As Developer Advocate at JetBrains he's involved with CLion, AppCode and ReSharper C++. More generally he's an advocate for good testing practices, TDD and using the type system and functional techniques to reduce complexity and increase correctness. He's previously worked in Finance and Mobile as well as an independent consultant and coach specialising in TDD on iOS.re.