Please log in to watch this conference skillscast.
Do you ever feel like development work seems to involve a lot of waiting? Waiting for builds to finish. Waiting for your team members to complete the code you need. Waiting for testing to be completed? Waiting for other teams, or for approvals to happen? Sigh. Yawn. The typical approach is to try to make the coding more efficient or start new work. But what if all these wait-states are actually where you should be focusing your improvement efforts first? These invisible piles of unfinished work slow you down far more than you realize, sucking team productivity, and making everything take longer than it should.
Don Reinertsen says, The enemy of flow is the invisible and unmeasured queues that undermine all aspects of product development performance, but how can you fight an invisible enemy? Most development teams remain blissfully unaware of the negative impact of these invisible queues on productivity, or how to deal with them effectively.
This talk focuses on demonstrating the presence and the negative impact of these invisible queues in the work of real teams. Task boards are great for helping teams visualize and coordinate their work, but they don't show the full picture. In this session, you’ll see a live demo of visualizing and troubleshooting team development queues as timelines with Flow. Paul can’t get you out of boring meetings, but he can help you reduce waste so you can spend more time doing the coding you love.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- Refactoring to Deeper Insight: Lessons Learned Applying DDD to Large-Scale Ruby and Rails (SkillsCast recorded in June 2016)
- Martine Devos' Certified Scrum Master, Estimation & Planning Class (in London on 24th - 25th June 2019)
- Jenny Martin's BDD From Start to Finish - Successful Delivery through Continuous Collaboration (in London on 24th - 26th June 2019)
- Infiniteconf 2019 - A one-day community celebration of Big Data, Machine Learning and AI (in London on 4th July 2019)
- Keynote by Kris Nova on The Power of Linux Virtualization with Cloud Native (in London on 19th June 2019)
- Agile Around The World (in London on 1st July 2019)
- Securing microservices in a serverless world (SkillsCast recorded in June 2019)
- Solving 5 typical Issues in API development with Domain Driven Design (SkillsCast recorded in June 2019)