Please log in to watch this conference skillscast.
During this talk, you will get a sense of how to use the comonad in this way (along with other functional tools) by processing and decoding a familiar real-world signal, the old-school analogue composite video, as we build a homemade TV capture card. Starting with a minimal stream-like structure, we will define a comonad on it, recycle common functional concepts into a signal processing toolkit, and build up until we see an actual colour TV picture.
You will also learn how this endeavour lends itself well, at least in theory, to a functional treatment, and perhaps get some motivation to find more uses for the comonad and other techniques employed.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- 'Inappropriate' applications for Scala (SkillsCast recorded in December 2015)
- Scala Days 2023 (Online Conference on 1st - 30th December 2023)
- LJC Live with Andrzej Grzesik and Karsten Silz (in London on 16th February 2023)
- Take a load off: how strong platform engineering moves an organisation forward (Online Meetup on 23rd February 2023)
- Taming the Context Beast (SkillsCast recorded in October 2022)
- The Middle Way for Static Typing in Spark DataFrames (SkillsCast recorded in October 2022)
Cobind and Chill
Danielle took up functional programming in Scala a few years back as a mental challenge and much enjoyed it since, with gratitude to the great people she met on the way. Alongside Scala being the day job, she has an amateurish inclination to look at unusual domains with FP in the misguided conviction that there has to be a 'clever' solution for every problem.