Please log in to watch this conference skillscast.
Microservices and Digital Transformations share a lot of the same properties; (almost) everyone is doing it, (almost) nobody knows how to do it, (almost) no-one actually knows what it means beyond the buzzword bingo. But in the focus to reduce structural complexity, the increase of autonomy and shorter delivery cycles, they too also find their basis in a lot of shared goals. In digital transformations, companies focus on the transformation of a business to ensure a better alignment of their development efforts to the customer. With an agile transformation being an important part of such a process, businesses often change from a process-oriented hierarchy towards teams focused on customer journeys. A sound technological transformation would, however, often work from a large, entangled, monolithic system towards a DDD inspired service- and team-structure which brings a far better mapping and alignment towards business’ processes. Both transformation paths seem to focus on a different, conflicting, path of focus for both teams and eventual technology (customer-journey vs process). In this talk, Gideon and Kenny will share with you their experiences from the trenches doing those transformations, you will learn that both transformations should actually work on different logical layers, that they complement each other, and how service-thinking can actually bring you closer to your customer. Faster.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- Crunching 'Real-Life Stories' with DDD Event Storming and Combining it with BDD Techniques (SkillsCast recorded in November 2018)
- Fast Track to Chaos Engineering with Russ Miles (in London on 1st - 3rd July 2019)
- Functional Concurrency in .NET with C# and F# (in London on 9th - 10th September 2019)
- Infiniteconf 2019 - A one-day community celebration of Big Data, Machine Learning and AI (in London on 4th July 2019)
- Keynote by Kris Nova on The Power of Linux Virtualization with Cloud Native (in London on 19th June 2019)
- Keynote Evening with Russ Miles (in London on 1st July 2019)
- Securing microservices in a serverless world (SkillsCast recorded in June 2019)
- Solving 5 typical Issues in API development with Domain Driven Design (SkillsCast recorded in June 2019)
Placing Microservices in Digital Transformations
Kenny Baas Schwegler is a Software Engineer and Consultant focusing on software quality at Xebia. He mentors teams by using practices and techniques from Domain Driven Design, Behaviour Driven Development, Test Driven Development and Continuous Delivery.
Having built software over the full range of the stack; from embedded systems, telephony systems, to end-user focused applications and data-processing architectures, Gideon learned the importance of building responsive, resilient, elastic and decoupled systems the hard way. Backed by this experience, Gideon helps organisations in building software in redesigned architectures which enable a more scalable, agile and sustainable way of software development. A larger part of that focus lies in the design, implementation and creation of awareness of truly modular and autonomous services. Not only to improve overall reactive traits of that system but to improve alignment within a business by separating and forming teams and functionality directly around the domains they try to model. Call it microservices, call it self-contained services, call it modular design, DDD or agile software architectures; Gideon’s focus is on helping organisations in mapping business and IT in the most optimal form.