Please log in to watch this conference skillscast.
When was the last time you were truly lost? Thanks to the maps and location technology in our smartphones, a whole generation has now grown up in a world where getting lost is truly a thing of the past. Richard will share with you why location technology is one of the foundational technologies of your time and how it will become even more important in an increasingly autonomous world.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- Real World Kotlin Development Workshop (in London on 1st - 2nd July 2019)
- Fast Track to Android Architecture (in London on 21st - 23rd October 2019)
- droidcon London 2019 (in London on 24th - 25th October 2019)
- Keynote by Rebecca Franks on Tips for Building Custom Views on Android with Canvas APIs📏🎨 (in London on 19th June 2019)
- Keynote by Markus Eisele on Java in the Age of Containers and Serverless (in London on 20th June 2019)
- Hybrid Apps from a Ember/Vue/React PWA (SkillsCast recorded in May 2019)
- Bringing Back Dial-up: The Internet Over SMS (SkillsCast recorded in May 2019)
Lightning Talk: Why Location Matters
One day, a young Richard decided that he rather enjoyed Indiana Jones and would therefore become an archaeologist. To prepare for this exciting future, he got himself a summer job on an archaeological dig. It was a summer with a lot of rain and very few rolling boulders. One evening the man in charge took him aside, looked at him with haunted eyes, and said: "Don't become an archaeologist”. So Richard got himself a PhD in distributed computing instead, and embarked on a career in tech. At some point he took a wrong turn and got lost in the middle of Mongolia. That day he realized the importance of great maps. This led him to HERE Technologies, where he helps developers find their way using location technology. He's not cool enough for Berlin, but he lives there anyway.