The headline feature for this year's Scala release is a reworked collections library, with a focus on simplicity and performance. As we look forward to Scala 3, Adriaan is really excited to deliver the first significant part of his team's vision for the next decade of functional programming in Scala.
The collections library, being at the core of the Scala experience really exemplifies the functional programming philosophy behind the design of Scala. Adriaan will talk a bit about the design, implementation and migration story of the new library, which was lead by Stefan Zeiger from the Lightbend side, Julien Richard-Foy at the Scala Center and many outstanding contributors from the community. He'll also explore a few key changes to the type checker that enabled the simplifications in the design. Of course, Scala 2.13 comes with more goodies, such as better Java 11 support, an improved inliner, literal types, partial unification enabled by default.
For the "beyond" part of the talk, Adriaan will share his team's plans for 2.14, which will take a big step towards 3.0 for the compiler and core language, with support for TASTY, trait parameters, opaque types, and top-level definitions (assuming SIP approval). We care deeply about a smooth migration path as he evolves the language, and will go into some detail on his team's plans for that, as well as the highlights of the once-a-decade upcoming major release of Scala: 3.0!
Come on down to CodeNode to learn from the best, share your ideas and join our vibrant community! Be sure to sign-in early to grab a drink and meet other attendees in a casual, relaxed setting.
18:30-19:00 Sign-in and get settled
19:00-19:45 Adriaan's presentation
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- Scala: 2016 retrospective & resolutions for 2017 (SkillsCast recorded in December 2016)
- Real World Kotlin Development Workshop (in London on 22nd - 23rd October 2019)
- Migrating to Java 11 with Ben Evans (in London on 28th - 29th October 2019)
- Clojure eXchange 2019 (in London on 2nd - 3rd December 2019)
- Scala eXchange London 2019 (in London on 12th - 13th December 2019)
- Code Kata: Yilin Wei - Optics with Monocle (in London on 22nd October 2019)
- Don’t keep it to yourself - openness and honesty in the workplace (in London on 30th October 2019)
- Keynote: (Programming Languages) in Agda = Programming (Languages in Agda) (SkillsCast recorded in October 2019)
- Keynote: Haskell is a Great Host (SkillsCast recorded in October 2019)
Scala 2.13 and Beyond!
Adriaan has been active in Scala compiler development since 2007. His contributions include type constructor polymorphism in 2.7, a rewrite of the pattern matcher in 2.10, standard library modularization in 2.11, Single Abstract Method types in 2.12, and many small improvements to the type checker and compiler internals. He joined Lightbend (then Typesafe) to lead the Scala team in 2012.