Please log in to watch this conference skillscast.
But replicating search functionality for your own uses or users isn’t that simple, especially with microservices. Trying to retrieve data from multiple tables - never mind different databases or clusters – can easily balloon in complexity and load on your system.
That’s why Landbay built their own search microservice. Using Elasticsearch, custom indices, and event-driven messaging design patterns, a separate search microservice provides fast and flexible access to data across the whole platform. Searches happen in near-realtime, the frontend is able to dynamically generate search tables, control is centralized in configurations to make creating new searches a breeze, and you can completely re-index the system without any disruption to users.
Of course, the end result isn’t exactly the same as Google, but it definitely beats using complex search query boiler plate. Or Bing.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- Lightning Talk: Engineering a Better Interviewer (SkillsCast recorded in October 2019)
- Getting API Design Right: Learning from Anti-Patterns — Full‑Day Workshop [SAG Digital 2021] (Online Course on 11th October 2021)
- Reasoning Systematically: the Art of Integration Leadership — 2 Half‑Day Workshops [SAG Digital 2021] (Online Course on 11th - 12th October 2021)
- Software Architecture Gathering Digital 2021 (Online Conference on 13th - 14th October 2021)
- Domain-Driven Design Hands-On Workshop: A DDD-traineeship at "Carries Cars" (Online Meetup on 26th October 2021)
- Who Tests Their Cloud Code Anyway? (SkillsCast recorded in September 2021)
- Keynote: The Magic of Platforms (SkillsCast recorded in September 2021)
What Do You Mean I Can’t Google It? - Search for Microservices
Heather is a software engineer who spends her days working on Java, microservices, and all the backend tools that help put them together. After years studying finance and working in operations around the world, she is currently focused on growing and improving the distributed microservice system at Landbay, a peer-to-peer FinTech start-up here in London.