Please log in to watch this conference skillscast.
But just because you cut your big scary monolith into itty bitty bite-sized chunks doesn't mean you're actually cashing in on all that microservices have to offer. In particular, this talk focuses on one fundamental question: Are your microservices independent? Microservices should be modelled as isolated units, but in reality, robust systems rely on cooperation between those different units. This seems like a Catch-22, but there is hope!
Heather will explore ways to minimise the dreaded deployment dependencies and cascading failures through a loosely-coupled client server relationship, well-defined interfaces, and automated contract testing in your build pipelines. She will also share how Landbay has cleaned up their own generated code dependencies, bolstering the resiliency and independence of their system without losing the speed and ease of normalised interfaces. Plus, it’s CI/CD friendly! To paraphrase the immortal words of Destiny’s Child, “If you're gonna call make sure it's your API you flaunt / depend on no one else to give you what you want.”
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- Lightning Talk: Engineering a Better Interviewer (SkillsCast recorded in October 2019)
- Domain Models in Practice with Marco Heimeshoff (Online Course on 8th - 12th November 2021)
- Understanding Distributed Systems using OpenTelemetry with Liz Fong-Jones (Online Course on 7th December 2021)
- Product Elevation 2021 (Online Conference on 18th - 19th November 2021)
- Domain-Driven Design Hands-On Workshop: A DDD-traineeship at "Carries Cars" (Online Meetup on 26th October 2021)
- Understanding Microservices: A Guide for the Monolithic Developer (SkillsCast recorded in October 2021)
- F# Gives You Superpowers (SkillsCast recorded in October 2021)
Lightning Talk: Independent Services, Throw Your Hands Up At Me
Heather is a software engineer who spends her days working on Java, microservices, and all the backend tools that help put them together. After years studying finance and working in operations around the world, she is currently focused on growing and improving the distributed microservice system at Landbay, a peer-to-peer FinTech start-up here in London.