Please log in to watch this conference skillscast.
But just because you cut your big scary monolith into itty bitty bite-sized chunks doesn't mean you're actually cashing in on all that microservices have to offer. In particular, this talk focuses on one fundamental question: Are your microservices independent? Microservices should be modelled as isolated units, but in reality, robust systems rely on cooperation between those different units. This seems like a Catch-22, but there is hope!
Heather will explore ways to minimise the dreaded deployment dependencies and cascading failures through a loosely-coupled client server relationship, well-defined interfaces, and automated contract testing in your build pipelines. She will also share how Landbay has cleaned up their own generated code dependencies, bolstering the resiliency and independence of their system without losing the speed and ease of normalised interfaces. Plus, it’s CI/CD friendly! To paraphrase the immortal words of Destiny’s Child, “If you're gonna call make sure it's your API you flaunt / depend on no one else to give you what you want.”
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- Lightning Talk: Engineering a Better Interviewer (SkillsCast recorded in October 2019)
- Hands‑on Microservices Architecture and Design Workshop with Chris Richardson (Online Workshop on 7th - 17th June 2022)
- Domain-Driven Design in Practice with Michael Plöd (Online Workshop on 20th - 22nd September 2022)
- Java Forum (Online Conference on 31st August 2022)
- Product Elevation Conference 2022: Online (Online Conference on 9th - 10th November 2022)
- LDN Talks May 2022 - Quickwit Takeover (in London on 30th May 2022)
- Gravitee APIM Behind Istio Service Mesh (SkillsCast recorded in May 2022)
- Enabling Microservice Success (SkillsCast recorded in May 2022)
Lightning Talk: Independent Services, Throw Your Hands Up At Me
Heather is a software engineer who spends her days working on Java, microservices, and all the backend tools that help put them together. After years studying finance and working in operations around the world, she is currently focused on growing and improving the distributed microservice system at Landbay, a peer-to-peer FinTech start-up here in London.