Please log in to watch this conference skillscast.
But just because you cut your big scary monolith into itty bitty bite-sized chunks doesn't mean you're actually cashing in on all that microservices have to offer. In particular, this talk focuses on one fundamental question: Are your microservices independent? Microservices should be modelled as isolated units, but in reality, robust systems rely on cooperation between those different units. This seems like a Catch-22, but there is hope!
Heather will explore ways to minimise the dreaded deployment dependencies and cascading failures through a loosely-coupled client server relationship, well-defined interfaces, and automated contract testing in your build pipelines. She will also share how Landbay has cleaned up their own generated code dependencies, bolstering the resiliency and independence of their system without losing the speed and ease of normalised interfaces. Plus, it’s CI/CD friendly! To paraphrase the immortal words of Destiny’s Child, “If you're gonna call make sure it's your API you flaunt / depend on no one else to give you what you want.”
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- Lightning Talk: Engineering a Better Interviewer (SkillsCast recorded in October 2019)
- Domain Models in Practice with Marco Heimeshoff (Online Course on 10th - 14th May 2021)
- Sociotechnical Domain-Driven Design with Kacper Gunia (Online Course on 20th - 21st May 2021)
- DDDx — Domain-Driven Design eXchange 2021 (Online Conference on 8th - 9th June 2021)
- Software Architecture Gathering Digital 2021 (Online Conference on 13th - 14th October 2021)
- LDN *Virtual* Talks Apr 2021 *Red Badger Takeover* (Online Meetup on 27th April 2021)
- Living with Your Legacy (SkillsCast recorded in April 2021)
- Three Challenges in Microservices: Developer Feedback, Continuous Delivery, and Cost Optimization (SkillsCast recorded in April 2021)
Lightning Talk: Independent Services, Throw Your Hands Up At Me
Heather is a software engineer who spends her days working on Java, microservices, and all the backend tools that help put them together. After years studying finance and working in operations around the world, she is currently focused on growing and improving the distributed microservice system at Landbay, a peer-to-peer FinTech start-up here in London.