Please log in to watch this conference skillscast.
As organisations look to empower engineers more, and embrace devops practices, you have seen the support role change quite a bit too.
Developers are moving from being purely third line support, to working more collaboratively with engineers and operational staff. Also as you move to cloud native microservice solutions, the increased complexity and diversity of our production landscape means operational staff may well rely more heavily on the engineers, in particular out of hours.
Nicky has spent the last 18 years working across a plethora of industries utilising a myriad of technology and approaches. From working on everything from trading applications to content enrichment APIs, she has seen a lot of approaches and processes try to help minimise operational support for developers.
In this talk, Nicky will be exploring and discussing some of her top approaches and techniques to help reduce the risk of that dreaded 3am call! You will gain some practical insight into how to handle failure in today's more complex distributed microservice systems. This will include looking at approaches to resiliency, understanding your system, understanding the requirements for fault tolerance, and the developers' mindset necessary for this. She will be peppering this talk with real world examples, and an occasional war story along the way too
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- The Bumpy Road Towards Containerised Microservices: Why Early Adoption Meant It Took Longer For Us To Get There (SkillsCast recorded in September 2018)
- Domain Models in Practice: DDD, CQRS & Event Sourcing with Marco Heimeshoff (Online Course on 30th November - 4th December 2020)
- Sociotechnical Domain-Driven Design with Kacper Gunia (Online Course on 7th - 8th December 2020)
- Strategic Domain-Driven Design Tools For Non‑DDD People (Online Meetup on 29th October 2020)
- Implementing Microservices: Nobody Told Me About That (SkillsCast recorded in October 2020)
- Debugging Containers on Kubernetes with "kubectl debug" (SkillsCast recorded in July 2020)
An Engineer's Guide to a Good Night's Sleep
Nicky is a principal engineer formerly of the Financial Times and has been leading teams for more than 15 years, across a wide range of industries: travel, banking, media, retail and telecommunications. She passionately drives forward cloud native architectures and approaches that allow engineers to deliver deliver business value quickly whilst also reducing the support overhead needed for complex distributed systems.