A SkillsCast for this session is not available.
You can’t design the optimal software architecture if you don’t know the business model. Many trade-offs need to be made when designing a system and teams need to know where they should spend their time and energy to achieve maximum impact for the business. In Domain-Driven Design, core domains are our primary tool for addressing these challenges. Core domains tell us which parts of the domain hold the biggest opportunities for business gain, so we can take architectural decisions and spend our time to maximise our capabilities in these areas.
Finding core domains, however, is a very difficult and intricate challenge. Often, different people in the business will have different opinions about what the core domains are. It can be an impossible challenge for people from a technical background to understand the business and identify those core domains. This is where we can leverage the Business Model Canvas.
The Business Model Canvas is the domain model of how businesses work. It asks us 9 key questions and gives us a language for communicating with the business, helping us to find those core domains even if we have little existing knowledge of business models.
Learning the Business Model Canvas and applying it in a real situation requires little practice. After this hands-on session, you will be able to use the Business Model Canvas to understand whatever business you are working in and find those essential core domains.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- Strategic Domain-Driven Design Tools For Non-DDD People (SkillsCast recorded in October 2020)
- Sociotechnical Domain-Driven Design with Kacper Gunia (Online Course on 18th - 19th February 2021)
- iOS Architecture with Jorge Ortiz-Fuentes (Online Course on 1st - 3rd March 2021)
- Accelerated Software eXchange Forum (Online Conference on 18th February 2021)
- μCon: The Microservices eXchange (Online Conference on 13th - 14th April 2021)
- LDN *Virtual* Talks Feb 2021 *A Million Ads Takeover* (Online Meetup on 16th February 2021)
- Evolutionary Architecture (SkillsCast recorded in January 2021)
- What an Architect Can Learn from Retrospective Failures (SkillsCast recorded in December 2020)
Finding Core Domains with the Business Model Canvas
Nick is a technical leader, author, speaker and trainer. He helps If you need help building autonomous teams, modelling complex domains, consulting, training, or public speaking.He has a passion for delighting users, creating business impacts, crafting quality software, and building world-class engineering teams.