Please log in to watch this conference skillscast.
In 2011, Thomas Thwaites spent 9 months and £1187.54 and built his own toaster.
In his own words, he described the toaster as a partial success because “for about five seconds, the toaster toasted, but then unfortunately, the elements kind of melted itself”. He is right in the sense that his audacious attempt won him fame and attention, and his TED talk was viewed more than 1M times. But judging his creation on its own, it’s an abject failure that was 300 time more expensive than a commercial toaster, took too long to build and was utterly unfit for purpose.
As a business that is competing in an increasingly competitive world enabled by advancements in technology, the questions we should be asking ourselves are: “what are the business value, cost and risk in building our own infrastructure vs using a managed service?”. In this session, you will take an objective look at the ongoing debate of containers vs serverless and explore the arguments of control vs responsibility, vendor lock-in and more!
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- How To Build a Social Network Entirely on Serverless (SkillsCast recorded in May 2019)
- Docker Fundamentals with Matt Saunders (Online Course on 19th - 22nd October 2020)
- CloudNative eXchange 2020 (Online Conference on 17th - 18th November 2020)
- Debugging Containers on Kubernetes with "kubectl debug" (SkillsCast recorded in July 2020)
- Azure DevOps (SkillsCast recorded in July 2020)
You wouldn't build your own toaster, would you?
Yan is an experienced engineer who has run production workload at scale in AWS for nearly 10 years. He has been an architect and principal engineer with a variety of industries ranging from banking, e-commerce, sports streaming to mobile gaming. He has worked extensively with AWS Lambda in production, and has been helping various UK clients adopt AWS and serverless as an independent consultant.