Please log in to watch this conference skillscast.
From different backgrounds, Kate now a post-graduate student in cognitive psychology and computational modelling and Chris an engineer, have reached a common commitment to understanding what makes you human and how that defines whether you thrive or flounder in your work.
Wherever you are in the value stream, understanding the brain is of benefit to yourself and your contributions to your team. Using familiar Lean concepts they will share the science and experiences they are aware of, adding to their understanding of why you do what we do:
Amongst other things we will look at:
Theory of constraints
- You are the constraint so look after yourself: fuel your brain
- Individual differences are extraordinary: biological, neurological, genetic
- You can only think so much: respect your working memory capacity
Limit Work in Progress
- Every minute of every day, your life is overwhelmed with works in progress
- Context switching and your neurological limitations
- Being in the moment
Small batch sizes
- Limiting the impact of living in a “delayed-return environment”
- The theory of how humans may learn language: chunking
- Executive function cognitive psychology research
We are, each of us, an ongoing experiment in being human with different outcomes that influence every question, thought and observation we have.
In this session, Kate and Chris hope that by engaging with the science of the brain you can work better together, build better products together, and have a more satisfying and enjoyable life.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- Track Lead: What Goes on in Brains: How an Understanding of Neuroscience Makes a Difference When you Advocate Agility (SkillsCast recorded in November 2018)
- ICAgile Certified Agile Team Facilitator with Ben Maynard & Jon Spruce (Online Workshop on 6th - 9th March 2023)
- Certified Large-Scale Scrum Practitioner: Principles to Practices (In Person) with Ben Maynard (in London on 15th - 17th March 2023)
- Data & Model Validation (Online Meetup on 7th February 2023)
- Business Agility powered by Product Strategy (SkillsCast recorded in November 2022)
- Mastering Your Inner Demons as Product Managers (SkillsCast recorded in November 2022)
Love the Brain You're In
Chris has been leading engineering teams since 1999. He was pivotal in the BBC’s adoption of Agile in 2000-2001 using it to deliver the pioneering Multi-Screen Wimbledon Service for Sky.
Kate’s diverse roles have included investing in start-ups and scale-ups; board-level consulting on transformation, innovation, business development and brand; executive coaching, communications strategist; and senior roles in transformation, brand, and business development with global corporations. She works with agility to ensure a focus on delivering value to customers. She is often recruited into situations that demand an injection of focus and energy to build momentum, and require diplomacy to achieve consensus among disparate interests.