With 98% of the world's data created in just the past two years and an ever-expanding software and tech landscape, people are rightly excited to the point of evangelical about Big Data, BI, Machine Learning, Automation and what it can bring to their businesses. In 2019, you hear little of 'gut-feeling'-driven decision making...
But the race to be data-drive has obstacles, both for businesses managing their data assets and analytics teams, and for individuals looking for their dream job. The sheer abundance of buzzwords, technologies and languages out there makes it harder for a company or data professional to set and achieve their specific goals, and mistakes aren't cheap!
Between them, Slav Laskowski and Ned Stratton have over 15 years of experience in strategic, analytical and technical roles in data, working in numerous sectors.
They believe that the key to success isn't in rushing to hire a football team of data scientists or buying 50 Alteryx licences, Tableau and a SalesForce Premier plan all at once. Instead, using data well within a business hinges on a framework made up of five inter-dependent steps. The framework is called UCOVI: Understand, Collect, Organise, Visualise, Interpret.
Their talk will outline and expand on these steps and the skills, technology and people needed to do them well. It is a must-see for anyone who wants to:
• identify missing links in their data, be it staff, process or skills.
• make more use of data resources for insight
• build or re-build ETL and analytics processes in their business
• know the disciplines they or their staff need to up-skill in to progress
• just find out more about the role of data within an organisation
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- Applied Domain-Driven Design — Full-Stack Event Sourcing (in Online Event on 9th July 2020)
- Retrospectives Antipatterns — Team Meetings That Don't Suck (in Online Event on 16th July 2020)
- Software Modernisation: A Strategic Approach (SkillsCast recorded in July 2020)
- Digital Discrimination: Cognitive Bias in Machine Learning (SkillsCast recorded in June 2020)
The Five Stages of Data: A Holistic Approach to Data Analytics and BI
Ned has 5 years’ experience in data quality management, analytics, and database management in finance, events and media, and politics. Currently in financial services, he works in SQL, Power BI and Python. His latest pet project is a data-driven results and goal-scoring prediction model for league football matches across Europe, which has taken over from the Tinder dating database that he gave an LBAG talk on in July 2018.
Slav is an innovative and creative data/analytics leader with a history of commercially beneficial analytics solutions. Has a strong belief that data is at the heart of every modern business. He has experience with delivering data solutions for several firms including DHL, Sainsburys, Williams Lea, and Ernst & Young. He is currently Director of Data at GovNet Communications, where he is using his experience to unlock the true potential of their data by getting the foundations for digital transformation in place.