Please log in to watch this conference skillscast.
Mathematical Planning (MP) is the science of caring for people. It focuses on answering the question, “Given a quantifiable goal, constraints to be obeyed, and decisions to be made, what is the best plan?” Every organization is answering this question every day. Everything hinges on whether we can continually identify the best course of action. Mathematical Planning is an underutilized technology and I am on a mission to inform and empower developers to use it.
Mathematical Planning has been slowly coming into the mainstream and there are now libraries in most programming languages. Python has PuLP and Gurobi, C# has OPTANO, and F# has Flips. I will show that F#’s unique set of features make it the ideal tool for performing Mathematical Planning. These features include the functional-first nature, the algebraic types, and Units of Measure. I will show the power of Mathematical Planning and how F# addresses many of the pain points found in other languages when developing real-world Mathematical Planning models.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- Functional Concurrency in .NET with C# and F# with Riccardo Terrell (Online Workshop on 11th - 14th October 2022)
- F# eXchange 2022: Online (Online Conference on 25th - 26th October 2022)
- F# eXchange 2022: In-Person (in London on 25th - 26th October 2022)
- Haskell: A Conversion Experience (SkillsCast recorded in November 2021)
- Using F# to Structure an Island of Simplicity (SkillsCast recorded in October 2021)
Lightning Talk: F#: The Best Tool for the Hardest Problems
Matthew Crews is a Machine Learning Engineer who focuses on the intersection of Mathematical Optimization and Predictive Models. He loves to teach and build tools to make it easier for developers to harness the power of Mathematical Optimization.