This SkillsCast is currently only available to registered attendees of μCon: The Microservices eXchange
It will be freely available to all Skills Matter members once the μCon: The Microservices eXchange early-access window expires on June 13, 2021.
NRK TV is a TV streaming service for the Norwegian public, serving hundreds of thousands of users every day. This is the story of how we turned an increasingly complex and stagnating monolithic API into a more rapidly evolving modular API.
Two key elements in the transformation are hypermedia and domain-driven design. We use links to tie together bounded domain contexts that we keep separate to contain complexity. Clients can seamlessly navigate between e.g. editorial content, catalog, playback and personalized recommendations, without noticing or caring that different contexts could be supported by separate backends with varying degrees of criticality and separate failure modes. Since links enable us to support multiple paths through the API and more than one way to reach a goal, they also help us evolve our applications without having to coordinate updates for all our clients at the same time. Rather, clients can opt-in to new or improved functionality when it suits them.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- A Fable about Fish (SkillsCast recorded in April 2019)
- Crafting Code with Sandro Mancuso (Online Course on 13th - 14th May 2021)
- Sociotechnical Domain-Driven Design with Kacper Gunia (Online Course on 20th - 21st May 2021)
- DDDx — Domain-Driven Design eXchange 2021 (Online Conference on 8th - 9th June 2021)
- Software Architecture Gathering Digital 2021 (Online Conference on 13th - 14th October 2021)
- LDN *Virtual* Talks May 2021 (Online Meetup on 27th May 2021)
- Wasmcloud, a next-gen platform in Rust and WASM (SkillsCast recorded in April 2021)
- Monitoring Temperature (with Too Many Bluetooth Thermometers) (SkillsCast recorded in April 2021)
Real-world API Modularization with DDD and Hypermedia
Einar W. Høst is not a software craftsman; he is a genuine, PhD-certified ivory tower zealot. His heretic views include thinking away from the keyboard and making drawings to understand things better. He does domain modelling, API design and computer programming at NRK.