You've found a Premium Feature!
Certain videos, events and workspaces require a Premium Membership. Become a Skills Matter Premium Member today to access exclusive benefits including free tickets to online conferences, Members-only events and discounts on training.Unlock this Video
We are told that successful companies have great products which must be built on a robust broad platform. However, there is some assembly required! CTOs must balance the delivery of competitive products against the delivery of their platform which will enable industry “domination”. Best of breed products must provide competitive features delivered on a strong broad platform. In this talk Dave will share his decades of experience building products and platforms (software and hardware).
He briefly describes the natural tension between products and platforms. These tensions ripple through all aspects from development from practices; technology and tool choices; through user experience; design; architecture and implementation. They constrain the functionality, delivery timeline and costs hence substantially impacts the software culture of the company. Dave discusses the numerous challenges and tradeoffs faced by product and engineering management as they seek to deliver best product for their customers while delivering the best platform for their business.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- History and Trends of Programming Languages with Erik Meijer & Mads Torgersen (SkillsCast recorded in August 2020)
- Agile at Scale (In-Person) with Joakim Sundén (in London on 19th - 20th September 2022)
- Training from the Back of the Room with Ben Maynard and Jon Spruce (in London on 1st - 2nd November 2022)
- YOW! Perth Developer Conference 2022: Online (Online Conference on 19th - 20th September 2022)
- YOW! Perth Developer Conference 2022: In-Person (in Perth on 19th - 20th September 2022)
- Inspiring Women in FinTech & Crypto (Online Meetup on 1st June 2022)
- Product or Platform - The Choice is Yours? (SkillsCast recorded in March 2022)
- Unlock Your Company’s Innovation Potential (SkillsCast recorded in February 2022)
90 Minutes: Product vs Platform
Dave Thomas, Chief Scientist/CSO, Kx Systems, Co-Founder and past Chairman of Bedarra Research Labs (BRL), creators of the Analyst visual analytics workbench and an ACM Distinguished Engineer. Founder and past CEO of Object Technology International (OTI), becoming CEO of IBM OTI Labs after its sale to IBM. With a unique ability to see the future and translate research into competitive products, he is known for his contributions to Object Technology including IBM VisualAge and Eclipse IDEs, and their Smalltalk and Java virtual machines. Dave is a popular, humorous, albeit opinionated keynote speaker with an impressive breadth of business experience and technical depth. He is a thought leader in large-scale software engineering and a founding director of the Agile Alliance. With close links the R&D community Dave is an adjunct research professor at Carleton University in Canada and held past positions at UQ and QUT in Australia. He has been a business and technical advisor to many technology companies. Dave is founder and chairman of the YOW! conferences, and a GOTO Conference Fellow.