You've found a Premium Feature!
Certain videos, events and workspaces require a Premium Membership. Become a Skills Matter Premium Member today to access exclusive benefits including free tickets to online conferences, Members-only events and discounts on training.Unlock this Video
We are told that successful companies have great products which must be built on a robust broad platform. However, there is some assembly required! CTOs must balance the delivery of competitive products against the delivery of their platform which will enable industry “domination”. Best of breed products must provide competitive features delivered on a strong broad platform. In this talk Dave will share his decades of experience building products and platforms (software and hardware).
He briefly describes the natural tension between products and platforms. These tensions ripple through all aspects from development from practices; technology and tool choices; through user experience; design; architecture and implementation. They constrain the functionality, delivery timeline and costs hence substantially impacts the software culture of the company. Dave discusses the numerous challenges and tradeoffs faced by product and engineering management as they seek to deliver best product for their customers while delivering the best platform for their business.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- Coevolution of Architecture and Code - Closing the Gap? (SkillsCast recorded in September 2022)
- Training from the Back of the Room with Ben Maynard and Jon Spruce (in London on 1st - 2nd November 2022)
- Foundations of Social Leadership with Sea Salt Learning (Online Workshop on 21st - 24th February 2023)
- Product Elevation Conference 2022: Online (Online Conference on 8th - 10th November 2022)
- Product Elevation Conference 2022: In-Person (in Dublin on 9th - 10th November 2022)
- Focus First, Then Simplify w/ John Cutler (Online Meetup on 12th October 2022)
- Foundations of Social Leadership (Online Meetup on 18th January 2023)
- Product or Platform - The Choice is Yours? (SkillsCast recorded in March 2022)
- Unlock Your Company’s Innovation Potential (SkillsCast recorded in February 2022)