SkillsCastAbout the Speaker
Please log in to watch this conference skillscast.
Success is not determined by our aptitude -- our skill at a particular task. Instead, it is determined by our attitude -- how we go about it. It is far less the contributions of genetics, or education, or circumstance than it is how we approach challenges, limitations, and opportunities in our lives. Through real science and some very personal stories, we will discuss how you can use your attitude to improve yourself.
We begin by discussing Growth Mindset - Carol Dweck's idea that we can improve ourselves through sustained effort. Focus and attention will help us put in the 10,000 hours of deliberate practice that allow us to achieve mastery.
We then discuss Trust - by trusting others to do their part and to do it well we can achieve both greater personal happiness and better business results. Generative organizations and psychological safety in teams are key themes.
We finally discuss Confidence - from the underconfidence of the Impostor Phenomenon to the overconfidence of the Dunning-Kruger effect. Most importantly, we conclude with practical ways you can build and sustain your own confidence in yourself.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- YOW! London: In-Person (in London on 22nd - 23rd September 2022)
- YOW! London: Online (Online Conference on 22nd - 23rd September 2022)
- YOW! December 2022 - Online Conference (Online Conference on 5th - 13th December 2022)
- YOW! Brisbane Developer Conference 2022 (in Brisbane on 5th - 6th December 2022)
- YOW! Melbourne Developer Conference 2022 (in Melbourne on 8th - 9th December 2022)
- YOW! Sydney Developer Conference 2022 (in Sydney on 12th - 13th December 2022)
- Scaling Your Architecture With Services and Events (SkillsCast recorded in December 2020)
- Organization - A Tool for Software Architects (SkillsCast recorded in December 2020)
- How to Read Complex Code without Getting a Headache (SkillsCast recorded in December 2020)