Please log in to watch this conference skillscast.
In this session, you’ll learn about game design: the art and science of constructing enjoyable, engaging games. We aren’t doing any coding, and we’re not talking game engine development – instead, we’ll be taking a deep dive into game design theory, using it to understand how people interact with rules, and how to use it to improve your community, your company, your project, and your software.
Video games are the most glamorous of the electronic arts, but splashy graphics and amazing sound aren’t the defining feature of games. Games are the world’s only interactive artistic medium, and good interaction needs to be designed. Today’s master crafters of interaction design are game designers.
In this session, you’ll get a fresh perspective on user experience design and community engagement by understanding how people are interacting with the fastest-growing form of entertainment in the world.
Topics covered in this session include:
- Why games work, and how to analyse and build engaging experiences
- The Mechanics-Dynamics-Aesthetics framework: what it’s good for, and how to use it
- How to understand what a game’s doing, and how to build for fun
We’ll take this knowledge and apply it to real world examples in the realms of UX and UI design, community management, project management, and company building, as well as a few examples from the actual game development industry.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- Game Engines and Machine Learning: Training a Self-Driving Car Without a Car? (SkillsCast recorded in May 2019)
- Headless Flipper - embeddable mobile devtools for your CI and beyond (SkillsCast recorded in July 2022)
- Headless Flipper: Embeddable Mobile Devtools for Your CI and Beyond (SkillsCast recorded in July 2022)
How Do I Game Design? Design Games, Understand People!
Game Developer and Machine Learning PersonSecret Lab