Please log in to watch this conference skillscast.
Many developers harbour the dream of throwing off the shackles of corporate serfdom and experiencing the glorious freedom of self-employment. So is the grass really greener on the other side? As a developer who took the plunge a few years ago, I can offer some honest feedback and practical advice on things like:
- what to consider when assessing whether self-employment is right for you.
- the different software development business models, the pros & cons of each.
- setting up a business/company - which structure is best.
- knowing when to quit your job.
- pricing yourself correctly.
- sales & marketing - critical activity or soul destroying waste of effort?
- why on earth can’t people just pay you on time.
- what to say to friends and relatives who think you don’t do anything all day.
And generally everything else that I know now, that I wish I knew then.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: