In this talk, Sam, Accessibility Evangelist at Fable, will make the case for why testing with people with disabilities is critical to any accessibility effort, and describe what you can do in order to make this testing quicker, easier, and more effective. He will also provide tips, tricks, and advice based on his life-long experience as a screen reader user and testing participant, as well as the expertise Fable has gained from conducting thousands of hours of user testing with assistive technology.
In this talk, you will learn:
- Why does testing with assistive technology users matter?
- What can automated testing cover, and where are the gaps that must be filled by user testing?
- Tips on how and when to recruit testers with disabilities
- Methods for performing effective user testing
- How and why user testing involving people with disabilities is different from other types of user research
- The importance of qualitative over quantitative results
- Common pitfalls encountered when performing research and testing involving people with disabilities, and how to avoid them
- Tips on how to prioritize and act on your results
Plus lots of time for your questions!
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- Domain-Driven Design in Practice with Michael Plöd (Online Workshop on 20th - 22nd September 2022)
- Improving Software Quality through Data with Markus Harrer (Online Workshop on 14th - 15th November 2022)
- Test Those Metrics! Our Black-Box Approach for Observability Testing (SkillsCast recorded in December 2021)
- Who Tests Their Cloud Code Anyway? (SkillsCast recorded in September 2021)
Accessibility Testing: Why and How to Involve People with Disabilities
Samuel Proulx is the Accessibility Evangelist at Fable, a leading accessibility testing platform powered by people with disabilities. As a blind individual, Sam knows and values the importance of accessibility in all aspects of life and is a strong advocate for the inclusion of people with disabilities in the digital world. Sam brings his previous experience as Fable’s community manager, plus life-long advocacy for himself and others, to his role as Evangelist. Audio description: Sam is a white man with short dark brown hair and a thick brown beard.