Please log in to watch this conference skillscast.
In this talk, we will talk about GraphQL, what it is and why it is a great alternative to the traditional REST approach. Then I will present a tool called Snowflaqe which allows F# applications to communicate with any GraphQL web service.
Snowflaqe implements a type-safe functional approach to data access with GraphQL. It does so by taking GraphQL queries, type checking them and generating idiomatic F# code which sends the queries and handles the data transport.
I will demonstrate multiple practical real-world applications starting with generating Excel reports from GraphQL data, to building our own Excel functions in F# which generate reactive Excel tables from the GraphQL data (featuring ExcelDNA)
The "Why" of this talk:
Having worked with GraphQL for the past couple of years, I believe GraphQL to be a very powerful technology. However, in the F# community it is rarely talked about and it is heavily underused. Many moderns platforms today expose their data using GraphQL and so I built Snowflaqe to make it easier for F# developers to consumer and integrate with these platforms.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- Functional Concurrency in .NET with C# and F# with Riccardo Terrell (Online Workshop on 11th - 14th October 2022)
- F# eXchange 2022: Online (Online Conference on 25th - 26th October 2022)
- F# eXchange 2022: In-Person (in London on 25th - 26th October 2022)
- Haskell: A Conversion Experience (SkillsCast recorded in November 2021)
- Using F# to Structure an Island of Simplicity (SkillsCast recorded in October 2021)