In this talk, Mary Poppendieck will compare and contrast the openings of Beijing Capital Airport Terminal 3 and Heathrow Terminal 5 and present the lessons they hold for anyone switching on complex systems that absolutely must be on time, and must work well—starting the very first day.
On March 26, 2008, Beijing Capital Airport Terminal 3 commenced full scale operations. Covering almost a million square meters, the massive building took four years and less than $4 billion US dollars to build.
But you don’t hear much about the opening of this terminal, because it was pleasantly uneventful, while the chaotic opening of Heathrow Terminal 5 a day later captured worldwide attention. About a third of the size and twice the cost of Beijing Terminal 3, Heathrow Terminal 5 took twice as long to build; yet despite months of testing, its opening was an embarrassment to all concerned
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- Certified Agile Team Coaching with Ben Maynard & Jon Spruce (Online Course on 15th - 18th November 2021)
- Certified Large-Scale Scrum Practitioner: Principles to Practices (In Person) with Ben Maynard (in London on 22nd - 24th November 2021)
- YOW! December 2021 (Online Conference on 30th November - 1st December 2021)
- Domain-Driven Design Hands-On Workshop: A DDD-traineeship at "Carries Cars" (Online Meetup on 26th October 2021)
- Merging Kanplexity™ with LeSS (Online Meetup on 2nd November 2021)
- Retrospecitves Antipatterns (SkillsCast recorded in October 2021)
- The Myth of Team Autonomy: Why it is an Illusion and We Still Need It (SkillsCast recorded in October 2021)
A Tale of Two Terminals
Mary considered retirement 1998, but instead found herself managing a government software project where she first encountered the word “waterfall.” When Mary compared her experience in successful software and product development to the prevailing opi
Tom Poppendieck is an enterprise analyst and architect, and an agile process mentor. He focuses on identifying real business value and enabling product teams to realize that value. Tom specializes in understanding customer processes and in effectiv