Please log in to watch this conference skillscast.
In this talk, Chris Marshall will discuss the challenges of moving from Java to Scala “in the enterprise”. He will cover pitfalls, pratfalls, explaining his team's journey: from wishing for “Java with Closures” to navigating a forest of new concepts: monoids, monads, applicative functors and folds. Was their choice for Scala a good idea?
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- Teaching an old dog new tricks: wrapping an imperative API in a functional one (SkillsCast recorded in March 2014)
- Real World Kotlin Development Workshop (in London on 22nd - 23rd October 2019)
- Migrating to Java 11 with Ben Evans (in London on 28th - 29th October 2019)
- Clojure eXchange 2019 (in London on 2nd - 3rd December 2019)
- Scala eXchange London 2019 (in London on 12th - 13th December 2019)
- London Scala Kata: Yilin Wei - Optics with Monocle (in London on 22nd October 2019)
- Don’t keep it to yourself - openness and honesty in the workplace (in London on 30th October 2019)
- Keynote: (Programming Languages) in Agda = Programming (Languages in Agda) (SkillsCast recorded in October 2019)
- Keynote: Haskell is a Great Host (SkillsCast recorded in October 2019)
Stairway to Heaven or “Java with Closures”
Chris Marshall (@oxbow_lakes) is one of the 22 scala gold-badged users on StackOverflow, although he is unique in being the only undeserving recipient.