The main goal behind this project is to create a language that would be a good tool for developers, i.e. will be safe, concise, flexible, 100% Java-compatible and well-supported by IDE and other tooling.
Kotlin is an open-source project developed by JetBrains, creators of IntelliJ IDEA and ReSharper, with the help of the community. At this talk, Andrey Breslav (Kotlin project lead) gives an overview of the language and the principles behind it.
Among other things, the following features will be covered:
- Static null-safety
- Extension functions
- Higher-order functions and type-safe builders
- Smart casts: Kotlin's lightweight pattern matching
- Enhancing existing Java APIs with Kotlin
- Developing mixed Kotlin/Java projects
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- Beyond Java 8 with Ben Evans (Online Workshop on 18th - 19th November 2022)
- Team Topology - Enablement mode (Online Meetup on 6th October 2022)
- LJC: Monitoring Digital Experience to Determine Feature Effectiveness (Online Meetup on 11th October 2022)
- Uh, Does This Thing Actually Work? Modern Microservices Testing (SkillsCast recorded in August 2022)
- How to Contribute to Java and Open Source Projects (SkillsCast recorded in August 2022)