A SkillsCast for this session is not available.
The first session of the beginners track starts with 'Agebraic Types'. By the end of this session you'll be very comfortable with types an dhow they can be used for practical purposes.
This session is based on this talk.
- Product types and sum types
interactive exercise - isFever function that handles degF and degC
interactive exercise - simple DSL for time
type TimeScale = Hour | Hours | Day | Days | Week | Weeks
type TimeDirection = Ago | Hence]
Maybe and Either
Single case DUs
Simple state machines
Designing for correctness. Make illegal states unrepresentable
interactive exercise - simple shopping cart
Handling errors with Either ("railway oriented programming") rather than exceptions interactive exercise - railway-oriented fizzbuzz
Code project: design the types for a blackjack game. Unions, tuples all over the place!
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- Understanding Parser Combinators: A Deep Dive - Audience Level: Beginner (SkillsCast recorded in April 2017)
- F# eXchange 2020 (Online Conference on 21st October 2020)
- Haskell eXchange 2020 (Online Conference on 3rd - 4th November 2020)
- London Calling (Online Meetup on 24th September 2020)
- Applied Domain-Driven Design — Full-Stack Event Sourcing (SkillsCast recorded in July 2020)
- Intro to OCaml (SkillsCast recorded in June 2020)