Please log in to watch this conference skillscast.
Automated testing is the key to rapid development of high-quality apps, but mobile has lagged behind the web in this area. In this talk we'll give a philosophical and technical introduction to Appium, an open-source, cross-platform, mobile automation framework you can use to write automated UI tests for Android and iOS apps (native, hybrid, web). Welcome to the future of mobile QA!
The tools and practices refined over the last decade by web developers have not crossed over easily into the mobile community. Mobile devs have been without tools like continuous integration and automated testing, which enable delivery of high-quality apps more rapidly. A key piece of the solution for mobile is Appium, an open-source, cross-platform, language-agnostic mobile automation framework you can use to write automated UI tests for Android and iOS apps (native, hybrid, web), to be run on emulators or devices.
In this talk we will explore the philosophy that underlies the work behind Appium, including the open-source nature of Appium's diverse, active and friendly community. Then, after a brief explanation of the technology that powers Appium, we'll move into the technical portion of the talk, where attendees will see easy it is to write Appium scripts using the WebDriver protocol in their favorite language, and integrate Appium tests into a CI system using Selenium Grid or Sauce Labs.
Ultimately, the talk provides an argument for moving from manual QA to automated testing, an understanding of the mobile automation landscape, and a solid introduction to Appium, which leading projects and companies around the world have chosen as their mobile automation framework of choice.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- Jenny Martin's BDD From Start to Finish - Successful Delivery through Continuous Collaboration (in London on 24th - 26th June 2019)
- Real World Kotlin Development Workshop (in London on 1st - 2nd July 2019)
- CloudNative London 2019 (in London on 25th - 27th September 2019)
- Front Endgineers London (in London on 1st July 2019)
- Keynote Evening with Russ Miles (in London on 1st July 2019)
- The real reasons why you should care about Provider (SkillsCast recorded in June 2019)
- Awesome CI/CD Data Pipelines for Distributed Data-Sources (SkillsCast recorded in May 2019)
Appium: Mobile Automation Made Awesome
I have been engaged with the use and development of technology in one form or another since I was young, and am currently pursuing a career as a software developer. It's not all roses, however: I take a fairly radical and critical stance towards the adoption of technology in society.